"a message to all the wanna be Djs" - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    Ok, so I'm an (exceptional) electrician. I'm also handy around woodwork, plumbing and plastering. Do you think I should be coming round you house to hang doors, connect sinks and toilets, or plaster your walls?

Serious question. I just think your analogy is flawed. I'm not having a pop at the original poster....
    Sure, you can work on my toilet, but I'm not going to pay you like I would a plumber, cause you're a handyman. I wouldn't expect the same work quality work from you as I would a professional plumber, but I'm also going to assume that you don't run around telling everyone that you are a plumber, just cause you know how connect pipes together, even if you could get the toilet fixed.

I think the analogy is spot on, when you are talking about the same thing all the way up the line. I didn't say the high school athlete was a tennis player trying out for the major league hockey team, which is how you angled your comparison. A soccer player playing high school soccer is still a soccer player, but it doesn't mean that he couldn't be 1)competitive or 2)get his ass handed to him, on the pro soccer field. Same job, different levels, different commitments, different pay.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

I think by letting someone go in the dark about something they weren't aware of isnt fair to that person. Maybe you were the one that was suppose to enlighten them and you didn't. If a guy is driving cars off cliffs and into walls then yes, hes shit. However, if the guy is there and his drawing a crowd with premixes done up and the club is making money and the people are dancing then hes doing his job. I think a "Pro" DJ is someone who can create an energetic experience that causes people to seek him as a medium to create rockin' parties to such an extent that someone will pay to support his standard of living. Dont matter what tools you got in your belt if you dont get the job done. The job is drawing crowds.

Thats my two cents. Open for criticism.

Pork

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Porkie View Post
    I think by letting someone go in the dark about something they weren't aware of isnt fair to that person. Maybe you were the one that was suppose to enlighten them and you didn't. If a guy is driving cars off cliffs and into walls then yes, hes shit. However, if the guy is there and his drawing a crowd with premixes done up and the club is making money and the people are dancing then hes doing his job. I think a "Pro" DJ is someone who can create an energetic experience that causes people to seek him as a medium to create rockin' parties to such an extent that someone will pay to support his standard of living. Dont matter what tools you got in your belt if you dont get the job done. The job is drawing crowds.

Thats my two cents. Open for criticism.

Pork
    I agree with you completely and that is why I consider myself to be a DJ, albeit one with a lot to learn. I used to tell people during sets that I was just a beginner... or a DJ in training. Afterwards I would always get comments like "What were you talking about... you're twice as good as so and so"

It doesn't take much to be better than the ADHD top 40 djs around my area... but the fact that they've got a gig every night and I can outdo them makes me feel confident in saying that I too am a DJ. I don't define myself in comparison to them... but they do serve as points of reference.
    Wanted: Traktor Kontrol Z2

Current: Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Numark 5000 FX, Technics 1200 M3D, Technics 1200 MK2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Peavey XR 684, (2) MTX TP1200, Sony MDR-V700

Tech Wizard

"Have you ever had to carry 20 crates of vinyl up a set of stairs?"

I think everyone has to do that before they can be a DJ.

Do you mean crates, or crates? 'Cos crates is a term used for anything that you keep records in, but crates are the ones that you stole from outside the newsagents on your way back from a gig.

I do miss crates - they were the only thing I had in common with REAL Hip-Hop DJ's. Y'know, the ones from the Bronx......
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345