How Do You Get To Know Your Music? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i listen to music more or less all day with the exception of the time when i am sleeping, so thats how i sort out which tracks i wanna keep and which ones i trow away from my daily release subscriptions
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Quote Originally Posted by djfrogstar View Post

also a little ganja never hurt anybody

doing that exact thing right now. trolling youtube, smoking a blunt while i feel like im in a snowglobe cause of this damn blizzard. atleast i prob wont have to work tomm
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

So ive heard guys say they go to blogs....what are some good blogs i can follow??
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    So ive heard guys say they go to blogs....what are some good blogs i can follow??
    i love electro, house and dubstep

im always on the music ninja, Gotta dance dirty and stoney roads

they always got some sweet new tunes.... especially GDD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

Be sure to check out the list of blogs usually located somewhere on page of which blogs they follow/trust as well... and there are A LOT so be careful which ones you spend your valuable time on.

Beat Gridding takes about 15 seconds. Warping and setting Gains in Live takes me about 30 seconds to a minute to warp, and I typically gain-adjust 6 songs at a time (without listening to them…just read the meter after it's done playing).

As far as learning…just spin with them. The tracks you like the most will float to the top of your memory, and you'll know them better. If you want to get more inclusive than that, get an iPod or something, but I find it boring as sin to listen to unmixed dance music.

Here's my tricks for finding tracks. Note that I work alone, in a room, by myself, sometimes naked. So, all day I queue up my tracks. A lot of my job is already thought out, so it's not really distracting. If I need to think, I hit stop.

At any site, I go to the category I want to here, and queue up EVERYTHING. If there's something that sounds wonky, I skip it. If there's something that looks like a re-release, I also skip it (well, most of the time).

It's somewhat time consuming, but almost all my favorite tracks are things I'd have not found searching by label or artist.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by epidemik View Post
    Hoping not to threadjack too much and more just extend the discussion as I'm in a similar situation...

How do you guys prep your tracks when you find them? (I think I worded that kind of funny). I'm wondering if you guys setup all your cue points as soon as you find a track or if you wait and do that more in a live setting?

I've been setting cue points on potential places to mix in and out when bringing the tracks into traktor but I've found that this only leaves me with 2 or 3 free cue points for live stuff (juggling or even marking spots in the song/bringing it in at a spot other than my preset cue point). Is there a more effective way of doing this? Or should I just know my songs well enough that I dont need cue points on a in and out points.
    I dont bother prepping the tracks ,whats the point,we get a folders worth for our nights then just turn up and play the tunes, mix ,in and out when we feel its right,never prepared a set.

As for listening to music ,somedays i'll be at it all day ,other times i might just have a quick listen for an hr..

Tech Wizard

Thanks for reviving the thread, some good info... As far as blogs go, I personally follow the artists or labels directly via there pages/websites, I look into Resident Advisor quite often too, see what's been charted by the artists, whats been played on mixes/podcasts etc...

I try to prepare beforehand when I can and other times I don't, but I prefer if I can, I like everything to go as smoothly as possible when mixing so I'm the kind of person who would spend some time before playing out live to properly prepare whether it's a track list, cue points etc. Guess it depends on how confident you are...

mostapha: you say it takes you like 15 seconds to beat grid, any tips on that? I know that's kind of OT but even if anyone could direct me to some resources that would be useful too... So far I do most of my mixing manually but if I want to sync I would like a proper beatgrid set up, I've checked out a bunch of tutorials and they all have varying techniques, most of it takes longer than that... I saw a video of Ean recommending removing the automatic track analysis then starting at the the first snare beat instead of the kick and scanning through the track to make sure it's all aligned... While I've also seen people use the metronome and go through the whole track and moving the grid around, it's just not always as good as I want it to be, I've seen auto warping on Ableton or even the auto-syncing on VDJ do a better job... So if you or anyone could help/refer to anything related to that, that'd be awesome, otherwise I'll continue looking into it and practicing, it just seems like quite a lengthly process to go through and given that I have like 3000 tracks in my collection and it's growing daily it would be quite painstaking to do that for all the tracks but I would want too.

Thanks again...

Listen to your songs on youtube when your downloading them. when your surfing the web have tunes playing in the laptop. ALWAYS have an ipod with you!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast