Virtual DJ

Thread: Virtual DJ

Tech Convert

Default Virtual DJ

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the game, and have been using VirtualDJ (I sort of inherited the software and it is all I've ever used).
    I have the Hercules Steel (also inherited) and play Top40-House Music. (I also have a M-Audio Fast Track Pro).

Everyone hates on Virtual DJ, but why is it so bad?
    Should I make the switch to another software?
    I am a bit strapped for cash, is the switch in software really worth it?
    Also, is the Hecules Steel bad, I never hear anyone talk about it....

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate any input.....

I use Virtual DJ with my VCI 100 and enjoy it.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

vdj gets a bad rep as it used to be garbarge but the new vdj7 has come leaps and bounds and looks really nice and a few people use it on this fourm i have used vdj and traktor pro and its just prefrence really.

see if u can get a copy of traktor le and try it out for yourself before you take the plunge and buy it

Tech Guru

I've always used VDJ, and i have the Hercules RMX which is basically your controller with a soundcard.

I kept trying to switch to Traktor and always went back to VDJ because it was pre-mapped to my controller and i found it easier to use.
    Recently i've been getting ready for some club nights i have after xmas, since i've always played out on CD/Vinyl i'm not as confident on a controller, and i found something lacking in VDJ, control over effects in particular.

So i finally moved to Traktor, using the default mapping from Hercules i absolutely love it now.
    It's difficult at first, but once you get used to the looping/fx it is fantastic, has really opened up the way i play on my controller as opposed to VDJ which i found limiting.

Getting a MPK Mini after Xmas for extra pads and knobs, since Traktor has so much more functions to control than VDJ. (Plus keys if i really need more buttons).

Tech Guru

Its all preference. Everyone likes their coffee different. Try out some demo versions or even better free software (http://www.mixxx.org/) See what you like and screw all that hater noise. Make sure the software fits you before purchasing, made that mistake 3 times myself.

Since you like VDJ consider upgrading to the full version if you haven't.

Also, some text can come across as hate with a little bit of truth in there. So do some research and find some truthful comments/reviews.

The Hercules Steel isn't bad, certainly has the potential to get the job done. There's always room for improvement when it comes to equipment though.

Happy Holidays,
    -Digi

Tech Convert

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot guys.
    I really appreciate the input.

Tech Guru

Thank you, because of this thread I got an idea. Whipped this little DJ software list here on DJTTF. Check it out may help you discover & decide what software fits you best without having to do all that browsing.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21757

Tech Convert

Default Thank You

Thank You very much deviantdigi.
    I really appreciate that extensive look at software