Internal vs External mixing
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Internal vs External mixing

I know that there have been other threads/articles on this debate but since the s4 came out(the 1st 4-channel controller), I would like to see what would you vote internal or external and a small justification.
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Tech Guru

external all the way, well for me anyway. i prefer to use a proper mixer with a proper eq etc...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

If you plan on playing out then external :

Better EQs and faders (generally)
    Better sound quality
    Portability.

Half of the functions mapped to a VCI-100 or an S4 aren't going to be used in the real world by 90pct of the people that buy them and get the opportunity to use them in a club environment IMO.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

external+100000
    just a much better warmer sound from the eqs

External. There is no controller that feels as good to use as even some mid-level mixers. Plus, there may be less stuff to have to find places for if you're using 1 or 2 X1s or something as opposed to something that's bigger than a CDJ.

IDK…I just never really considered just an all-in-one.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post

Half of the functions mapped to a VCI-100 or an S4 aren't going to be used in the real world by 90pct of the people that buy them and get the opportunity to use them in a club environment IMO.
    On what functions you are refering to?
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    External. There is no controller that feels as good to use as even some mid-level mixers.
    Based on my personal experience, I agree with this. Although, I haven't gotten my fingers on the S4 yet. Wonder if its haptics are on par with my external mixer of choice.

But when thinking exclusively about sound quality, I prefer internal mixing. This is a very subjective thing, though. Basically, you gotta try it for yourself. I can understand why some people like the phat sound of, say, Rane mixers. The heavy bass works well in a club. But I just don't find it sounds as clean and crisp as Traktor's internal mixer.

Tech Mentor

Is it possible for someone wo has the s4 to share with us his internal mixing experience?

Banned

I mix internally myself and rather enjoy it. When ever I play out I never have to worry about what kind of gear they have as long as I have an open channel on the mixer to plug into.

And while I don't think there is much sound quality lost as people make it seem, I have noticed when using the EQs it's bit harsh when you have EQ at 7 o'clock (kill) and then trying to bring it in gently, it's just a bit jarring for that one moment, but you find ways around it.

I prefer external just because midi controllers tend to feel cheap and horrible to use in comparison to a mixer of similar price. Cheap plasticy knobs that don't click in the middle- urgh.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast