Decent timecode setup on a budget?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Decent timecode setup on a budget?

So I don't have a mixer cause I haven't found one I quite liked yet (that won't break my bank) but I need one for the Technics I'm trying to aquire cause I want to have a timecode set up.

My friend showed me this on amazon right now and says Behringer is a decent brand and this sale looks nuts. 50% off!?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-DJX750-Professional-5-Channel-Advanced/dp/B001RUEDI2/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1292617731&sr=8-22"]Amazon.com: Behringer DJX750 Pro Mixer Professional 5-Channel DJ Mixer with Advanced Digital Effects And BPM Counter: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51isImmzC6L.@@AMEPARAM@@51isImmzC6L[/ame]

Tables I guess I pretty much just need to save up and bite the bullet for some Technic 1200's right?

If this is a repeat post let me know just point me where to look cause I couldn't find anything on a semi-budget timecode setup.
    Traktor Pro 2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter (#100 by Ean himself!), blah blah blah

Soundcloud || Facebook

50% off sounds about right for almost everthing right before NAMM
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Trust me, the DJX750 is not even worth that little money.

Don't get me wrong, I like Behringer for it's bang to the buck. But some stuff they make is good, some isn't. A buddy of mine had a djx750 and before that the djx700, it's predecessor. Both broke months after buying them new, the 750 was even worse than the 700. The fader curves suck, the effects suck and it sounds quite bad. The faders and knpbs feel really flimsy and cheap and started to crackle after a few weeks.
    Really, don't buy it, get something else. The DJX mixers are probably the worst gear Behringer still sells.
    I own a Behringer DDM4000, which is much better, sounds good, feels more solid and didn't fail on me so far, but that's probably out of your budget for now.
    Do you really need four channels? If not, a Denon DNX120 is a good choice if you don't want to spend much money.

As far as turntables go, Technics are pretty much indestructible. On the other hand, where I live (Germany, that is) prices for good used ones are already going up. The OEM tables which are sold as reloop rp6000, American Audio HDT 4.5, synq xtrm-1, stanton, stanton 120c, kam ddx5000 etc. are pretty good, too. I have two of them at home for a couple of years now. They seem pretty solid to me, and have a really strong direct drive. If you can get a decent pair of used ones for a good price (let's say for half the price they cost new), you might be able to save some money, if you can live with good turntables that don't have a technics badge on them. Technics do have the advantage that you will be able to get spare parts when something breaks though. (At least for a while, only time will tell how the supply will be after the end of it's production).

As this is the DJTT forum: Do you really want/need turntables? Ever thought of using a MIDI controller instead?

if your on a budget go for midi controller + traktor. you can do the basics plus go completely funky once you get a grounding with the program/hardware. I am a timecode dj, but will be the first to tell you traktor/midi controller are the sound of the future. much more creativity and functionality imo.
    Save for a bit and get the S4 you wont be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Hallowell View Post
    So I don't have a mixer cause I haven't found one I quite liked yet (that won't break my bank) but I need one for the Technics I'm trying to aquire cause I want to have a timecode set up.
    Hey B.Hallowell...

If you're looking for budget gear that will also carry you into the developing controller world, definately take a look at the Behringer DDM4000.

BEHRINGER DDM4000 LINK

If you get the Behringer DDM-4000 and want to use it as a midi controller with Traktor Pro/Scratch Pro until you get your decks, you will need:

1) A USB-Midi interface. LINK

There are a few cheap options, but I recommend getting the 50% Traktor Scratch Pro deal before the end of December 2010.

You can use the Audio 8 DJ interface as your midi controller and interchange the DDM-4000 as a midi controller for Traktor and 4 decks, or use the DDM-4000 as your external mixer for your timecode/vinyl. Best of both worlds.

This setup should run you around $800

1) DDM-4000 Guitar Center Pricematch $325 +
    2) Traktor Scratch Pro @ $399 with the 50% off
    3) Then you can save for decks.

DON'T forget to sign up for Guitar Center EMAIL COUPONS: LINK

You can save 10% on most items and during the holidays, up to 15-20% coupons become available.

I have multiple email accounts...multiple coupons...I buy lots of stuff.

The other USB-Midi interface option is also available at Guitar Center:

Option #1: $39.99 US

I'm running two Behringer DDM-4000 at the moment and love them.

There are soooo many lights, I'm using my second one as my Christmas Tree right now.

• 1 as a midi controller / Christmas Tree
    • the other as an external mixer/timecodes with the Traktor SPro Audio 8 Dj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAR1d_eKcc

CLICK HERE FOR YouTube All Vids LINK: DDM4000 as a Midi Controller...This is a good start before you get your decks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5AF_mnrhZU

Konix: Check out his videos on the Behringer DDM4000, Serato and Traktor Scratch Pro. Very helpful in addressing setup, issues, techniques, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhKdoDDhmK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0HFrTll0D4

50% off till December 31, 2010 (nice!)

I hope this helps and have a Happy Controller Holidays

Tech Mentor

sooo for that setup i could get buy with no sound card? cuz i have a nice amplifier setup. im wondering if i should get this and like a notivation launchpad....

Well the Traktor Scratch Pro package comes with the Audio 8 DJ soundcard. You could also go for the less expensive option of the Traktor Scratch Duo which comes with the Audio 4 soundcard as well, if you were going with the above setup.

The above setup is probably one of the best bets if you want timecode, but can't afford to get it all at once, but don't want to wait to buy everything. Patience is a virtue after all.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

But it could also be used as a midi controller from what i see.

Yeah, the DDM4000 is a MIDI enabled analogue mixer. Basically meaning, everything on it can be mapped as MIDI (except for a couple buttons if I'm not mistaken). It also works completely fine as a regular analogue mixer.

It's one of the reasons why this particular mixer is so popular. It's one of the least expensive options for a fully capable MIDI enabled mixer.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

sweet. im thinking one of these and a korg nanopad. hmmm what u think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast