i'm going to be playing a 8 hour set...help and suggestions please.

Default i'm going to be playing a 8 hour set...help and suggestions please.

So i'm basically going to be playing a crazy party set at a house party...the party is supposed to be going from 8pm til 3 am...and I need some suggestions...people want electro to electro house to dupstep to anything i fucking want....but i need some suggestions because i don't think i can last that long...as far as being a dj...what do you guys think?

any suggestions meaning, don't drink to much or don't hit on girls around 1am helps...

Lots of sleep + water beforehand
    Energy drinks
    Pee bucket/bottles
    a mate that knows the basics of mixing so you can take an hour break.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Lots of sleep + water beforehand
    Energy drinks
    Pee bucket/bottles
    a mate that knows the basics of mixing so you can take an hour break.
    +1

either that or have some really long songs for pee breaks... and if you dont have a mate with basic mixing skills, pre record an hour long set so you can give yourself a break. as for hitting on girls... in my experience... when your the DJ at a house party, they end up hitting on you...

If your playing your own music... DONT start taking requests on demand... unless maybe its a really hot girl asking that youve been eyeing off anyways , then maybe make an acception... once you start taking requests on demand you will become the partys jukebox... and every 2 minutes you will have people coming up to you asking to play this or that and you will start having a nervous breakdown, and youll probably end up playing a whole bunch of crap. Plus they allways seem to come ask at the most inconvenient of times, right when your in the middle of a mix or cueing up a track... Instead... bring a notepad, if they ask, tell em to write it down, every half hour or so, check your notepad... if you have and like any of the songs on there... give them a spin, as long as it fits in with what your playing at the time... if not, wait until the appropriate time to play them, but dont take requests on demand... its a nightmare, and once it starts, it wont stop...

... i find the notepad thing works well because, it lets you play your own stuff, they spend less time hasseling you, its like "HEY CAN YOU PLA..." "JUST WRITE IT DOWN", and when you play the track later on, the person that requested it will feel special, because they will most likely have forgotten they requested it, but when they hear it, it will make them feel like you havent forgotten them....

get as drunk as you want, but dont compromise your abilities to mix... meaning, if you can mix well drunk... bottoms up, if you cant however... keep it in moderation.

other than that, just have fun and have a good time

I'd just have itunes playlists going till around 10.30 / 11 at least. No way i'd be standing there at 8.30 actually mixing tunes.

Basically, when you sense people want to dance, start djing.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I'd just have itunes playlists going till around 10.30 / 11 at least. No way i'd be standing there at 8.30 actually mixing tunes.

Basically, when you sense people want to dance, start djing.
    ^^^good advice. No need to actually mix before people are showing up. As an alternative to working with playlists, play some of your own mixtapes.

Since you're playing both warm-up and peak time, start slooowly. You don't have to start banging just because it's getting crowded at, say, 10 or 11. Everybody will want to grab a drink or two first. So concentrate on the atmosphere/mood of the music until you notice that the crowd is putting on its dancing shoes. Only then it's time to "turn on the disco."

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    +1

either that or have some really long songs for pee breaks... and if you dont have a mate with basic mixing skills, pre record an hour long set so you can give yourself a break. as for hitting on girls... in my experience... when your the DJ at a house party, they end up hitting on you...
    Yeah, having a pee bucket also reduces your chances of pulling. just to let you know
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Filterkat

Yeah, having a pee bucket also reduces your chances of pulling. just to let you know
    HAHAHA! never used a pee bucket before while DJing... but id imagine it wouldnt be to appealing to the ladies... on the upside, the smell of the pee bucket might detter people from coming up to the DJ booth asking you stupid questions like "what does this do?" "can i press this? what does it do" - music stops...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M Elbert Grant View Post
    a house party
    Pee bucket/bottles
    OMG pissing in someones house dude..?

Toliet or Garden sure but bottles in the house??? LOL

You need a route to the nearest exit. Plan your piss when playing a long tune.
    Dont squeeze it out too fast. It hurts and you will break your junk

volume control is going to be huge! Slowly build throughout the course of the night. Dont have the speakers booming too early. Background to start maybe peak around 12 or 1.