Pulling Audio from Odd Sources
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Pulling Audio from Odd Sources

I have been looking at pulling samples from things such as video games and other non traditional sources. Has anyone had any experience doing this. Is there anyway too get high quality samples. What's the best medium to pull from. I was thinking of using a few clips form some old NES games and some older arcade games. If anyone has any ideas or experience with doing this please post thanks a lot.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Fairly simple. Take the audio out of whatever you want to record and into your sound card on your computer or to a handheld recording device(most of which record up to 96k 24 bit wav files).
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

get a nes emulator and mame(arcade emulator).

then use a software such as audials to rip the audio in real time.

I have literally just set something up to do such a thing got a small TV with audio out plug the megadrive into the TV, plug the audio out into my MAYA44 soundcard. the plan is to record samples through live the cut them up into a track with 8 cue points for traktor.
    Here's Where I Put My Stuff Remix's/Mix's/and............. Genrally Madness

Sound Cloud :: http://soundcloud.com/herbstrike
    FaceBook :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HerbSt...2547446?ref=ts

Tech Guru

Exactly what I was trying to do herb now what's the quality like when you do it that way is it noticeable? I think I will go the Emulator route except for some of the arcade stuff I don't there is an emulator for Street Fighter 2. Thanks for all the responses.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

even the oldest consoles have RCA connections right?

edit: old is a relative term here obviously.

edit 2: also realize that the highest quality you'll get from NES will be 8 bit
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Student

...seems odd to search for a method to get high quality samples of what by today's terms is a vastly inferior audio source. Considering old arcade games were likely 8 bit, and you probably experienced listening to them on tiny consumer grade speakers mounted on the side of some old crappy TV or in a noisy arcade - I wouldn't get too caught up on the quality of the sample. You should be fine to record samples directly from an analog connection of something like RCA cables and then it's just a matter of finding someone with an old console and a few games.

The other approach is to make your own samples in that style. I used to have an Elektron SID Chip (the chip responsible for those sounds in old arcade devices) device that did it perfectly but I have also heard decent emulators that can do them as well. Unless you have to be absolutely authentic, you could probably use a SID Chip emulator. I haven't used this one, but a google search for "Sid Chip emulator VST" pulled up lots of choices....again, if making your own samples at all interests you which may or may not be the case.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    edit 2: also realize that the highest quality you'll get from NES will be 8 bit

There's a whole genre of dance music devoted to samples and remixes of video game themes. Fuck if I can remember what it's called though -- thought it was chiptune but it turns out that's yet another genre of video game music (actually produced with the chips from videogame machines). Cool stuff!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    There's a whole genre of dance music devoted to samples and remixes of video game themes. Fuck if I can remember what it's called though -- thought it was chiptune but it turns out that's yet another genre of video game music (actually produced with the chips from videogame machines). Cool stuff!
    I think what you are looking for is Nintendocore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast