A Suggestion For A Friend

Default A Suggestion For A Friend

Hi guys I have a question to ask you on behalf a friend of mine, he asked me is it a good combination to start making cool remixes to use a Vestax Typhoon, with a Midi Fighter? what you guys think about that, he's gonna be using Traktor thanks!
    -Bitpix- Don't do the same re-mix your life.

Tech Mentor

I don't see any problem starting there. I started out with a spray-painted keyboard. There are a bunch of threads which are people asking about gear for beginners. You may be able to find some other good entry level controllers amidst those.

You may want to take a look at this thread some good input:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18168
    Last edited by svensat; 12-20-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Setup: Studio XPS 1640 | VCI-100 SE | LPD8 | Traktor Pro | KRK Rokit Powered 6 G2 SE (Red)

"to start making cool remixes"? hes not gonna get very far with a typhoon and traktor
    best off getting a DAW

but if u are just talking about mixing then get traktor but stay away from the typhoon
    one of the worst bit of kits every made

Quote Originally Posted by svensat View Post
    I don't see any problem starting there. I started out with a spray-painted keyboard. There are a bunch of threads which are people asking about gear for beginners. You may be able to find some other good entry level controllers amidst those.

You may want to take a look at this thread some good input:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18168
    Thanks a lot Ill check it out

Quote Originally Posted by AboveDat! View Post
    "to start making cool remixes"? hes not gonna get very far with a typhoon and traktor
    best off getting a DAW

but if u are just talking about mixing then get traktor but stay away from the typhoon
    one of the worst bit of kits every made
    Yeah I was meaning mixes my bad but I didn't know the Typhoon was that bad, I have seen a bunch of ppl using them thanks for the input

The Typhoon, IMO, is a mixed thing. You really have to compare it to what is in it's class cost wise.

It's $299. The other close competitors come in at about the same cost for the Hercules RMX, and then $250 for the Numark Mixtrack Pro. The other near cost efficient options would be the Hercules Steel + Audio 2 DJ or the Numark Mixtrack + Audio 2 DJ.

They all have an on-board soundcard (which there are mixed quality reviews about all of them). That's up to the person really, wanting a more modular setup (that is a bit more future proof imo) or having an all in one thing.

If you figure in the cost of a MIDI fighter, you're easily looking at something close to $500. And that's just with Traktor LE. Upgrade that, and you're close on $600 now.

Personally, if you're getting toward that price range, I'd honestly suggest he go with either a used (bought from the forums/craigslist/ebay) VCI-100SE, or a refurbished VCI-100SE from the DJTT store ($449). Add an Audio 2 DJ and an upgrade for Traktor LE, and you're looking about the same price for a much stronger piece of hardware.

It's up to you guys, but figure out the "end" budget, and go with your most long lasting option IMO.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    The Typhoon, IMO, is a mixed thing. You really have to compare it to what is in it's class cost wise.

It's $299. The other close competitors come in at about the same cost for the Hercules RMX, and then $250 for the Numark Mixtrack Pro. The other near cost efficient options would be the Hercules Steel + Audio 2 DJ or the Numark Mixtrack + Audio 2 DJ.

They all have an on-board soundcard (which there are mixed quality reviews about all of them). That's up to the person really, wanting a more modular setup (that is a bit more future proof imo) or having an all in one thing.

If you figure in the cost of a MIDI fighter, you're easily looking at something close to $500. And that's just with Traktor LE. Upgrade that, and you're close on $600 now.

Personally, if you're getting toward that price range, I'd honestly suggest he go with either a used (bought from the forums/craigslist/ebay) VCI-100SE, or a refurbished VCI-100SE from the DJTT store ($449). Add an Audio 2 DJ and an upgrade for Traktor LE, and you're looking about the same price for a much stronger piece of hardware.

It's up to you guys, but figure out the "end" budget, and go with your most long lasting option IMO.
    Thanks a lot for all of that amazing info and I totally agree with you on it. The "end" budget its what matters and if it is close to something better is more worth it in the long run anyways thanks again.