Headphones

Thread: Headphones

Default Headphones

Hi,
    Looking to buy new headphones for playing live. Currently use BoseQC15's "at home" (for listening, tweeking etc). Currently have Sennheiser HD205's which I LOATHE - hence biased towards Sennheiser. I hate the new-gen 'glitzy' look. Love the look of the AiAiAi TMA's - but they are unavailable in South Africa, and will prove costly to import.
    1.Are they worth it?
    2.Other options?
    Thank you.
    Jonathan.

Filterkat

i can see why you dont like the senheiser hd 205's i tried a pair and they really werent that great, but then again, they are at the low price range of senheiser headphones, you kind of get what you pay for. however, the senheiser hd25's are probably one of the best pairs of DJ headphones money can buy, if you can afford them... plus all the parts are replacable, even though theyre indestructable, its still good to know if something does go wrong or breaks, i can buy replacement parts and not have to buy a whole new set of cans. Ive had mine for over 4 years, and the only thing ive had to replace are the ear pads becuase i was using them for hours nearly every day, but that happened to my technics RP DH-1200's aswell. Another cheaper alternative to the HD25's are the HD25 SP's... which are very simmilar to the regular 25's, just a more cut down version. theyre very light, portable, and sound GREAT, i have a pair of these as well as my regular 25's and i use the SP's when im listening to my ipod just because theyre lighter and a bit more portable. Dont be biased towards senheiser because they make some really great products, you just have to pay for them.

As for the aiaiai's, from what ive heard, theyre great headphones also, but im not sure how much it would cost to get them to where you are, so not sure if theyre worth it. Plus i havent tried them personally so i cant comment directly on the sound, but i hear good things none the less.

The pioneer headphones, the 500's,1000's, and 2000's are all great headphones as well... but a bit bass heavy IMO, and if you dont like the space age kind of look, then your out of luck, these things will make you look like your on a space voyager mission.

O yeah, and the technics RP DH-1200 (if i remember correctly) also a GREAT set of cans, but a bit bass heavy for production purposes... great for clubs and beatmatching though, and a nice clear, crisp sound,comes with a detachable cord, folds nicely, has a srew on adapter for different headphone sizes and they look pretty aswel :P

Not quite sure what your price range is... but still, i reccomend investing in a good set of headphones regardless... your better off paying more at the start for a set of cans that will last you 10 years, then having to buy a cheaper pair every 2 years

I use Technics RP-DJ1200s for DJing and absolutely love them. Sound-wise, they're great for standard listening but more importantly they excel at my primary concern of being able to hear the headphones over the primary sound system while mixing. They're also quite nice ergonomically with swivel cups and fold up cleanly. However, you may want to consider something else if you're going to be using them as your only pair of headphones, as they can be a bit uncomfortable for extended sessions.

I've only had brief experience with a friend's HD25s but they would definitely be a solid choice as well. Don't count out a brand simply based on the performance of their lower-end products.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    Hi,
    Looking to buy new headphones for playing live. Currently use BoseQC15's "at home" (for listening, tweeking etc). Currently have Sennheiser HD205's which I LOATHE - hence biased towards Sennheiser. I hate the new-gen 'glitzy' look. Love the look of the AiAiAi TMA's - but they are unavailable in South Africa, and will prove costly to import.
    1.Are they worth it?
    2.Other options?
    Thank you.
    Jonathan.
    Hey bru, I have the 205's and I know what you mean, I cant wait to upgrade these things. I'm sort of in the same boat as you, and so far I've cut it down to 2 choices.

It was 3 choices but I've decided to axe one of them, the HD 500's. Although I've heard they great for their price I want something top quality, hence me either going for the HD 25's or the TMA's. Either way I think they both excellent headphones. I still havnt made my choice but i'm leaning more towards the HD 25's at the moment and getting them modded by jfunk at djforums.

I'm sure an overseas supplier can ship to you in SA, you should check online, and believe me with postage included you will still pay less than if you were buying in SA locally! I paid R500 for my 205's and online they only cost around $40! so I think buying online you could get a much better deal and then I'd suggest the HD 25's or the TMA's. If you ona budget I would def have a look at the Pioneer HD 500's.

I hope I wasnt to confusing and made some kinda sense.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin V View Post
    I still havnt made my choice but i'm leaning more towards the HD 25's at the moment and getting them modded by jfunk at djforums.
    How are you thinking of modding yours? ive just got custom velour ear pads and strap cushions on mine, with a logo spraypainted on each outer cup, they look pretty awesome, ive had heaps of comments on them playing out. Have you checked out the limited edition Adidas ones they have out at the moment? they look sick as! although there more expensive than the regular 25's, and i dont see how they can justify such a high price jump just for a few cosmetic upgrades.

still... if you got the money to blow, check out the adidas ones, they look siiiiik

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    ive just got custom velour ear pads and strap cushions on mine, with a logo spraypainted on each outer cup, they look pretty awesome
    I think you should post up a picture !

Thanks guys - all good advice. I guess the adage "try-before-you-buy" fits here. I think Dustin and I fell into the "take what's available" trap in SA - the 205's are pretty high-end on the southern tip of Africa. It's hard to get a true feel for cans from the pix, so your personal experiences are appreciated. I also get the feeling that some of the 'pros are "sponsored" and might be wearing something else if they work forking out the loot. I'm not going to rush this. Juno is a great option Dustin - well priced, brilliant service and (unlike amazon) - no tax (sshhhhhhhhh don't tell). Would love to give techtools the business but p&p from the States is crippling.
    Stay true.

How are you thinking of modding yours? ive just got custom velour ear pads and strap cushions on mine, with a logo spraypainted on each outer cup, they look pretty awesome, ive had heaps of comments on them playing out. Have you checked out the limited edition Adidas ones they have out at the moment? they look sick as! although there more expensive than the regular 25's, and i dont see how they can justify such a high price jump just for a few cosmetic upgrades.

still... if you got the money to blow, check out the adidas ones, they look siiiiik
    Yeah i've seen the Addidas ones, but I'm not really into the blue look, they do look sick though and yes way overpriced I think. thats what happens when you slap the Addidas logo on a quality pair of headphones!

Well the mod I'm thinking of doing is the gold leaf plated ones, cant get any more pimped than this IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    X2!
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    ill be posting pics of my WHOLE setup, including these headphones, real soon in the "show your setup" thread... im just waiting on 2 bits of gear to arrive in the mail in the next 2 days, just so i can have them in the pics also... then... be prepared to be dazzled with total awesomeness...

ill be posting pics of my WHOLE setup, including these headphones, real soon in the "show your setup" thread... im just waiting on 2 bits of gear to arrive in the mail in the next 2 days, just so i can have them in the pics also... then... be prepared to be dazzled with total awesomeness...
    Ha ha ok well we'll be waiting to see!