What tracks to choose?
    Tech Mentor

Default What tracks to choose?

So i see Ean Golden choosing like the perfect tracks to beatjuggle and mess around with...im wondering how he, or you guys, choose those tracks?? What do u look for in the track, how do u know it will work well with another track, and how do you choose a complemtry track? Ive been running some track ideas through my head but idk if they are gonna work. Any tips guys? thanks

-Ben
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

For beat juggling, you're gonna want to find tracks that have PLENTY of space (ie - quieter sounds) between the beats. Drums with lots of reverb or echo on should be avoided, and drums with pads in the background should be avoided.

Lot's of older rock tracks have a drums only intro - these are good for beat juggling.

Of course, there are always exceptions, and the best thing to do is sort out a juggle pattern, then try it with a bunch of different tracks.

Don't forget, it's not just drums that can be juggled. I've heard spome pretty awesome juggle routines based on Daft Punk tracks, where the guitar/synth sounds are juggled as well as the drums.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I imagine trial and error leading to expeirence, same as any creative function.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Tech Mentor

Yeah i know trial and error but some guidelines on what kind of track to even start with would be good
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Try the famous Mix Master Mike "Tom Sawyer" opening. Epic
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Filterkat

only way to figure that out... is try it... dont try run it through your head, thats a waste of time... write the tracks down, go home and try it... if i hear a track which could potentially be good for beatjuggling, i go buy it on iTunes, load it in traktor, set some hotcues, and just muck around. I usually play around with it over a breakbeat or a loop to start with, and if that works, then i start looking for a complimentary track. If worst comes to worse and its an epic fail, i can sleep easy knowing i only wasted 99c, and have another song in my iTunes. As for looking for tracks, usually tracks with vocals work well, or for non vocal tracks, something thats really distinguishable.

As for knowing if they go well together, it pays to know your tracks back to front, and for reference purposes "mixed in key" is good software to be able to quickly choose 2 tracks that would potentially go well together. most of the time, mixed in key is spot on... harmonically anyway... its not going to tell you if the two tracks put together sound like rubbish, but it will give you an accurate key reading, and this can help in making track decisions quicker.

other than that, like i said, just try it... you wont find answers for questions like that on forums... its like you cant learn how to ride a bike by reading a book about it... you have to get on the bike, and try...