It finally happened to me - and I was asking for it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default It finally happened to me - and I was asking for it

Kinda OT, but I just wanted to share my pain. I had a full beer poured into my macbook this last weekend.

Small b-day party for a friend (at my house), I had just busted out my laptop + apc to run monomulator and flin with a nice kore patch for winding down the evening with textures and a pretty light show. The disco ball was turning slowly, a lovely blue. This was just messing around, no actual gig, so all my gear was on the carpet (usually safe in my case). My (very drunk) friend leans in to check out the APC, and bam - I look down and IPA is glugging out of a horizontal bottle right into the keyboard of the mac. Everything's in slow motion, and I turn the laptop upside down. I was wasted enough to lose time marvelling stupidly at how flin and the APC didn't hiccup at all, before I hear another friend - as if from a mile away, speaking through a pound of cotton - yelling to yank the power and pull the battery. Hard shutdown, power out, I've let the thing sit upside down for three days now, occasional hair dryer. Time for ifixit.com and distilled water now. I just hope I pulled the power in time...

We had just seen the new Tron. I'm now having nightmares of a 17-story beer teetering and falling onto the Grid, tiny programs running, screaming and getting de-rezzed in a sea of swirling froth.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

tl;dr

dude. ouch.
    if it wont work tell the guy to pay for at least half of it. 1k or not.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumdidum View Post
    tl;dr
    Are you for real. What a dumbass comment to make. Jackass.
    Check your attitude man.

-----

@Zac, feel for ya man. Been ther my self.
    I left a can of beer in my gig bag about 5 years ago. It split and totally soaked my iBook.

It still functioned but the screen was effed. I used it for a week with a 19" Dell monitor and then sent it in to Apple.
    Needed a new Logic board. Yikes, £400. Luckily my g/f worked at te Apple resellers and she managed to get it fixed on my Apple care which doesnt cover accidental damage. The guy at the repair place was cool although he did say that "its stank of beer"

Hope it works out bro.

@ Zac that sucks mate, hope you got to it in time! Liquids & tech are never a good combination.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

dang that sucks bro, hope you get to fix it.

edit

wait, it was blackie that got f'ed up? Man that really sucks! Black Macbooks are pretty hard to come by.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dumdidum View Post
    tl;dr
    Yeah, what up man? I was trying to make it visually rich (ribbed) for your reading pleasure. You gotta laugh when this kind of sh*t happens, or else...
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    wait, it was blackie that got f'ed up? Man that really sucks! Black Macbooks are pretty hard to come by.
    Yeah JesC - is there some pic out there I don't know about, or did you get that from the 2.4 Ghz in my sig? That's the one

Thanks guys. - I remember how easy it was to take apart a g3 powerbook, not looking forward to this. But hey, I've got a story. (Un)fortunately, the dude who spilled the beer is one of my oldest and best friends, so no compensation there, lol!

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Yeah JesC - is there some pic out there I don't know about, or did you get that from the 2.4 Ghz in my sig? That's the one

Thanks guys. - I remember how easy it was to take apart a g3 powerbook, not looking forward to this. But hey, I've got a story. (Un)fortunately, the dude who spilled the beer is one of my oldest and best friends, so no compensation there, lol!
    we had the same setups Black MB and Black VCI-100se the death star! Man...now Im scared, i dont want anyone near the dj booth anymore.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

borrow his flash new phone and drop it into your coffee accidentaly, that should make you feel better
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast