is my mixer broken or am i just retarded?

Default is my mixer broken or am i just retarded?

ive got an ecler nuo 2 and ive noticed an odd quirk in its behavior with the send/return.

ive got a kaoss pad plugged into the send/return, now if i sample a loop onto the KP3, any settings i change on the channel controls on he mixer have no effect on the volume of the loop. i can turn the send value down to zero, channel volume, all eq gain/main gain, frequency kill switchs, crossfade to another channel, mute that other channel, change the send from post to pre or vice versa.... that loop always comes in.

so i figure its either one of 2 things - the return circuit just doesnt go back into the channel strip in the mixer hence why nothing is influenced by the settings; or the return circuit is busted and just functioning improperly (which wouldnt be much of a stretch as the sockets are bent like 45 degrees from being dropped on)

does no one use a mixer with sends?
    just looking to find out if this is normal behavior and thats just how it is wired, or is it getting signal bleed or something?

I don't know about that particular mixer, you'd have to read the manual, but unless there's an assign for the FX send/return, it's most likely post channel fader and pre master fader. On most DJ mixers I've seen, the FX send/return is really just for the Master.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

on my mixer the return channel has a volume knob and the fx are pre fader, you can kill the source but the wet effected signal still plays, dj mixers dont use insert points like studio mixers.
    this can cause problems if you have a send enables on a channel thats not playing, ie the track you are cue'ing up, as the fx from this channel will be audible, and will sound like a fudged mix.

So I just looked at the manual for your mixer. It seems the FX return comes back to the Master out, if you wanted to monitor and mix in the return via the mixer with eq, I would bring the return of your Kaos pad in on the line of Channel 3.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors