CDJs + Mixer !!??!?!?!?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJs + Mixer !!??!?!?!?!

I'm planning to buy CDJs and a mixer to go with my Traktor Scratch Pro, but I was wondering what CDJs should I get between the following : CDJ-400 (HID compatible, no hassle, fairly easy to play with), CDJ-800 (Bigger jog wheel, but looks more of a hassle to setup), CDJ-850 (Kind of expensive), CDJ-1000MK3( possibly). For the mixer, I was thinking of going with a DDM-4000 or something else. I would like to have the biggest bang for the buck in this case.

Thank you in advance.

is this your first set up?
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

800's - the jog wheels are better and you don't need hid if you use timecode anyways
    SC | MC

Tech Wizard

Yes, this is my first setup. Keep on posting.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    800's - the jog wheels are better and you don't need hid if you use timecode anyways
    +1

Tech Convert

if its your first setup go with the 400s. they have all the newest design modifications (the 800 design is aging fast by now) has USB, HID, and pretty much all the features of the bigger CDJ's. you dont need an external soundcard either (they have built in ones) and as for the jog wheel size i say it hardly matters that much, especially if this is your first set up.
    put it this way: you will be rockin out on the 400s in no time, and by the time you want/need bigger jog wheels you will be ready for it. baby steps man

Honestly, what it comes down to IMO is platter size.

If you're okay with a smaller platter, either the CDJ-400 or CDJ-350 will be perfect for you. I'd suggest testing both (I like the 400's platter much better personally) and deciding about that.

Otherwise, the 850 is the wave of the future. It's got the larger platter, and all the necessary bells and whistles of the newest generation of players. It can do everything the 400 can do (besides on-board effects, which IMO should be on the mixer or an external controller anyhow) and also has use with rekordbox and couple other newer features I can't think of off the top of my head.

Honestly, also think of size. The 400's are much smaller than the larger variety of players, and so if you plan on moving your setup at all, it's a lot less you have to move around. (Thinking mainly for house parties and the like). But if you plan on basically having a bedroom setup, and keeping it in one place, then it won't matter what size it is.

I'm debating the same thing at the moment really. My $$ got pushed back a bit because of Christmas and also planning a trip to Ultra and Key West (Thur-Sun Miami, then Mon-Wed Key West).

If you can get a deal on used 400's, or even refurb ones, it's an excellent use of your cash. If you're forced to buy new, then I really think it's worth the bit extra at that point to just go out and get the 850's, unless you want as small a setup as you can get.

Vanity wise, the 850's also fit the size of most mixers better, and so I think they look more solid. I really do like the look of the 400's however, especially the unavailable limited ones, and it just comes down to what you prefer.

Any choice listed above will do you right in the end. But I think the best long term "buy once and not regret it" would be the 850's. Unless you score a killer deal on 400's.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

I have the 400s + a 4channel Vestax PMC-280 in a coffin, but it appears to be a bit impractical to me. It's a bit bigger & heavier then what I need. I don't play CDs that often and I could well do without cd playback. The USB stick feature is nice, but the display is limiting. Traktor stays the preferred choice for me.

I'm currently selling this set to get an S4 ... obviously, I can't recommend what I'm about to replace ... S4 is cheaper and would give me better control over traktor. Additionally, the S4 feels nicer than CDJ-400 and it's much more compact and light. Eventually, I could add a player later - maybe a DNS-3700, or just use a crappy, but portable Tascam CD-DJ1 I already own for CD/MP3CD playback.

I would advise you to consider what are the use cases of CD players in your dream setup. Unless you don't really need to play the CD/MP3CD media, you should think for a controller. Investing in expensive CDJ hardware is a bit pointless for just timecode control IMO.

EDIT: And for CD deck to be used as controllers, I would recommend looking at the DNS-3700. They have the timecode generator built-in and could act as both Time Code & MIDI control - it's a great combo. Additionally the 3700 has a nice vinyl platter which is great feel! The Denon DN-X1600 hybrid mixer would be a great choice for running Traktor, as it has build in Audio8 equivalent sound interface + MIDI and is TSP certified. An X1 controller would be a great addition for decs 3/4 + EFX control. Even if you own the A8DJ as part of a TSP package, you can still use it for club & bar gigs with the X1.

HTH
    Last edited by loop; 12-24-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Hot tip - try and cop decks with fucked cue/play buttons. Super easy to repair/replace and can knock a couple of hundred (in my case, around 300) off the price!
    If you end up doing this I'm more than happy to chuck up a tutorial. Literally took me 20mins

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post
    Hot tip - try and cop decks with fucked cue/play buttons. Super easy to repair/replace and can knock a couple of hundred (in my case, around 300) off the price!
    If you end up doing this I'm more than happy to chuck up a tutorial. Literally took me 20mins
    Did not know that!
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast