Can I Record Internally with CDJ400s?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can I Record Internally with CDJ400s?

So I have always recorded my mixes internally until I got my new mixer and CDJ400s. When running with TPro I use them in HID mode, externally. But since I am only using an Audio2, I can't record externally.

I am away from home for the holidays, so don't have my equipment near, but thought I'd gather some info for when I get back home.

So, running the CDJs in HID mode, using my mixer, as well as my midifighter and other controller, can I set TPro to mix Internally, so that I can record my mixes that way? Will my mixer even be functional, or will I need to controll the EQs and such with my controller?

Thanks for the help!
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

you can record internally and mix externally

i think
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    you can record internally and mix externally

i think
    Is that using my mixer, or my controller? Not that it matters to me though.
    KRK RP8sFG

i dont think the mixer matters. im too lazy to double check, but i think you have a separate option for recording.

EDIT: yup, separate option
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Convert

you can record internally, in traktor but it wont record anything you do on the mixer (EQs, faders, etc.) i have the exact same set up and the way i record my mixes is i run a rca>headphone jack cable from my mixers record out to my laptops mic in (15" macbook pro) and record using garage band. works perfect.

Another thing you could try, and I know it doesn't utilize your new DJM400, but is using your Hercules Steel as the mixer. As it's a MIDI device, it will allow you to record internally without any issue. This is one of the many reasons why many people switch to a MIDI mixer (like the DDM4000) or stick with a controller, because of the ease of recording.

As posters said above, you'd have to take the master out of your mixer and route it back into the line in on your computer, and use another audio program to record the mix. How you do this is completely up to you, but that is the only way you'll be able to record what is actually coming out of your speakers.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will just go the easy route and use my Hercules for my mixer. That's how I've always done it anyways in the past, and I'm not a huge FX person with my DJM400, so I can still use the FX from traktor with my MF and Tpro anyway.

Thanks!
    KRK RP8sFG

Now that I think about this a bit more, I really can't see any advantage of using my CDJs to mix internally just to record, because when using them with Tpro, their FX do no function. Is there are way around this...to use my CDJs, or should I jsut use my controller like I did before I got the mixer and CDJs?
    KRK RP8sFG

My honest opinion is that CDJ's are best used without a laptop. If you use a DVS, it's really a better use of your money to get a solid controller (VCI/S4). I really think the CDJ and Traktor combo is pretty powerful.

That being said, I'm not knocking you in any way because you have some awesome gear that I wish I myself had at this point in time. But it will really come down to how you want to use it.

Really though, if you want to just resolve this, get the second main out, send a line in to your computer, and just download Audacity (free) and record. It's not quite as simple as just pressing the record button in traktor, but it will allow you to use the full range of the CDJ kit you have going for you. And it will also record if you decide to actually use the CDJ as a CD player.

What do you enjoy using more? The CDJ/Mixer setup, or having the MIDI controller and doing everything internally through Traktor?
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    My honest opinion is that CDJ's are best used without a laptop. If you use a DVS, it's really a better use of your money to get a solid controller (VCI/S4). I really think the CDJ and Traktor combo is pretty powerful.

That being said, I'm not knocking you in any way because you have some awesome gear that I wish I myself had at this point in time. But it will really come down to how you want to use it.

Really though, if you want to just resolve this, get the second main out, send a line in to your computer, and just download Audacity (free) and record. It's not quite as simple as just pressing the record button in traktor, but it will allow you to use the full range of the CDJ kit you have going for you. And it will also record if you decide to actually use the CDJ as a CD player.

What do you enjoy using more? The CDJ/Mixer setup, or having the MIDI controller and doing everything internally through Traktor?
    Thank you again! I am trying to understand this so bare with me.
    To be honest, I like the CDJs best without Traktor. It makes me feel like I am doing so much more, beatmatching ect... But for ease of use, I also enjoy using my controllers along side of my CDJs with Traktor to gain some cool effects.

I already have audacity, so what I am not understanding is am I to record with it along with Traktor? Or is Audacity taking it's place so I can record externally with my CJDs and mixer?

What do I need to run into my laptop, an RCA cable going from my mixer into my laptop?

Thanks again for the help!
    KRK RP8sFG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast