push button to rotary

Default push button to rotary

Was wondering if I could replace a push button with a rotary knob, (I don't know the exact name my tech english is not that good)
    by soldering.
    If yes, should I have a firmware update for that knob, or is It then freely
    programmable in Traktor

I don't think it's possible, unless the firmware permits you to.

If it was the other way around, it would give it more of a chance.

It all comes down to the messages that a control can send out.
    If it's a regular button you would either have no signal or a full signal.

In case of a rotary knob/encoder or a fader, you would have no signal, full signal, but also a lot of signal in between the no and full signal.

I would give it more of a chance in case of switching rotaries with faders, or two rotaries with a touchpad.
    I know I am stretching it with this last one, but these are my two cents on the subject.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Too bad, because I am considering serious modding my vci

You might be able to replace 2 buttons for 1 rotary encoder with some serious modding skills + firmware hacking or Bomes Midi Translator skills - i wouldnt go there unless you seriously know what you doing though.

Wow... that would be a seriously limited rotary, but it would be a nice modification.

Never even thought of that.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Wow... that would be a seriously limited rotary, but it would be a nice modification.

Never even thought of that.
    Actually it could be a fully functional rotary if the job was done right - certainly not a job for the feint of heart though.

Basicly it work work by spamming a ton of mid note notes that would be interpreted by Bomes to work out what relative midi message should be sent.

The more midi messages that are spammed in a small time frame the the higher the relative message that would be sent.

Infact the SCS 3D already has some Bomes code that could be modified to suit this purpose.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 12-12-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Sounds decent!

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    You might be able to replace 2 buttons for 1 rotary encoder with some serious modding skills + firmware hacking or Bomes Midi Translator skills - i wouldnt go there unless you seriously know what you doing though.
    Sounds too difficult for me