How do you improve your 'hit-rate' ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sebastiannz

Default How do you improve your 'hit-rate' ?

By hit-rate I mean number of crap tracks you listen to compared to ones you actually like. I'm trying to figure out some process to reduce the amount of crap I listen to. It gets really boring listening to one bad track after another to find the ones I want.

My process at the moment is to 'favourite' in beatport or juno producers I like and listen to their new tunes when they come out. To find new producers I use soundcloud to see what people with similar musical taste to me are listening to. I also favourite labels and listen to new releases. That is where most of the poor tunes I listen to come from. Even a label I think is pretty high quality tend to put out a lot of stuff that I don't like.

So any tips for maximising hit rate?

Tech Guru

get good at recognizing what you like and dislike about productions so that you don't spend more than 5-10 seconds on stinkers.

it shouldn't take any longer than that to recognize if the song is one that might be interesting to you. genre preferences, production style, mix/master enginearing quality are all evident within the first few seconds.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 12-26-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Tech Guru

Inb4"there-is-already-a-thread-on-this"post

But before that, I'll throw in my methods.

Follow producers ad not labels on soundclound and BP. Loko through your favorite blogs every now and then.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    get good at recognizing what you like and dislike about productions so that you don't spend more than 5-10 seconds on stinkers.
    This is what I do

Finding good artists or labels and following them is also a great idea. I use Soundcloud to follow artists I know will produce good stuff
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You have to wade through the crap. The more you do it the better you get.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post

it shouldn't take any longer than that to recognize if the song is one that might be interesting to you. genre preferences, production style, mix/master enginearing quality are all evident within the first few seconds.
    yeah i sometimes only spend about 1 second on a track... maybe missing some good tunes by doing this but i doubt it.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

follow labels run by producers i like, no big ones. but yeah, manly 1-3 secs per track around the middle of the song, if it doesnt hook me with that then it's gone.

I stopped using my Hypemachine account and my "hit rate" feels as though it doubled after about a month.

My hit-rate is pretty atrocious compared to when I was on Vinyl, but…whatever. When Beatport alone releases like 50 pages/day and I have multiple genres to browse, it gets hard. I just jump through things quickly in the top-100 and some DJ's lists…jump through the pages and pages of crap. If a track doesn't grab me within 2 seconds, I'm not going to listen to the rest of it…the only tracks that 2-second rule doesn't count for is if I'm familiar with the Artist or (less frequently) the label or when the track was recommended by someone (IRL or Online…not in a top10) who's taste I know and trust.

Then, I move everything from my crate into my hold bin and use beatbot on the ones that don't suck…usually that finds one or two tracks…and remove the ones that do…wait 24 hours and go back to it and see what I want to consider…with a 10-second cutoff including jumping around.

It's my 3rd pass before I actually listen to the full sample of the song.

I also avoid artist albums like the plague, because they almost always suck…if an artist album comes out and a song or two doesn't suck, it'll be in the top-100.

I purposefully try to ignore what labels my tracks are on. If I can remember a label 2-3 days later while trying to forget it, it means there are enough of their tracks that I like that I can start thinking about maybe looking into their back catalog…same with artists.

For Techno artists (just an example–just finished a techno set), I remember Umek, Slam, Fergie, Pole Folder, Faithless, Cirez D, Marco Bailey, and, well…that's about it. For Techno labels, I remember 1605 (because it's the model of a Urei mixer I liked) and Bedrock…and, umm…that might be it. I own a lot more tracks than those artists and Labels. By purposefully ignoring things like that, I'm more confident in listening to something produced, remixed, or released by an artist or label that I remember.

Unfortunately, this is something you just have to live with. The problem with minimising the time it takes to find good tracks, is that you'll also MISS a lot of great tracks.

Digging has ALWAYS been one of the most important parts of being a great DJ.

As has been stated before - less crap was released when it was vinyl only, so your ratio was way higher. (Record shops only stocked songs that would sell (ie - good songs) because there was a COST associated with holding stock.

Beatport can afford to stock every kind of crap, and they do - because no matter how shit a tune is, there's always someone out there that will buy it. There is very little (if any) cost associated with stocking an electronic/.mp3 releases on BP. So BP DO stock all kinds of crap. They can't lose. If the track sells, they get paid, if it doesn't, they haven't lost anything.

Digging will be (and always has been) what makes a good DJ a great DJ.

Keep on diggin'.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast