Dj Controllers (Typhoon vs RMX)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Dj Controllers (Typhoon vs RMX)

Hey everyone,

Currently I have been messing around in DJ programs but want to buy a controller. Could anyone inform me as to which would be a better option between the Vestex Typhoon or the Hercules RMX? So far I seem to have narrowed it down between these two. One reason I am leaning toward the Typhoon though is I hear they have better jog wheels and have effects(FX) keys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tech Guru

Welcome to the money pit. i mean welcome to dj'ing! lol

first thing to remember is with midi controllers anything is mappable.

so dedicated effects keys isnt really imo, something you should worry about because in traktor you can decide "that key should turn on the filter" and you can go in, map it, and make it that way.

The bigger factor here between the two is the typhoon has touch sensitive jog wheels while the rmx doesnt. it all depends on what you are planning to do though. what kind of music are you wanting to play?

if youre into minimal or house, id actually go with the rmx. I've mapped mine to handle 4 deck mixing in traktor pro with all effects channels selectable. I dont see how i could easilly map that on the typhoon. Reason being the number of buttons. RMX just has more of them. that said ive read also their sound cards are pretty comparable (i.e. only really viable for bedroom dj'ing), and sufficient for your first controller.

I dont know if those jog wheels have sufficient resolution to scratch with ah la the vci 300. Hopefully someone thats played with one can chime in there.

Good luck!
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Student

As your first controller, either one is good to start off with. I personally have the typhoon and i love it. It already comes with traktor le which you can upgrade to pro and its a great program to use. Hope this helps you out!

If you are leaning toward the RMX, you should consider getting a Hercules Steel and an Audio 2 soundcard instead. I think the controllers are about the same but the RMX has a built in sound card while the Steel is just a controller. I think the price will also be about the same but this way you get a chance to compare Traktor and Virtual DJ to see if you prefer one software over another (I prefer Traktor).

Also getting an external sound card means that if you ever want to switch/upgrade controllers you won't have to buy a soundcard then.

Quote Originally Posted by Snailboto View Post
    If you are leaning toward the RMX, you should consider getting a Hercules Steel and an Audio 2 soundcard instead. I think the controllers are about the same but the RMX has a built in sound card while the Steel is just a controller. I think the price will also be about the same but this way you get a chance to compare Traktor and Virtual DJ to see if you prefer one software over another (I prefer Traktor).

Also getting an external sound card means that if you ever want to switch/upgrade controllers you won't have to buy a soundcard then.
    +1

Tech Student

Done. Thanks for your infor

Tech Guru

I just noticed the hercules 4-mx is out now. its the rmx replacement with a better soundcard and touch sensitive jogwheels.

to say the least, im intrigued.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRlP_cFp8c[/youtube]

edit:

im going to make a thread about this controller. its discussion worthy imo
    Last edited by xtianw; 12-28-2010 at 02:30 PM.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Student

I plan on playing a little bit of everything. Hip hop and rap would be included in sets so I'm curious as to how important it is to have to touch sensitive jog wheels.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stiwm145 View Post
    I plan on playing a little bit of everything. Hip hop and rap would be included in sets so I'm curious as to how important it is to have to touch sensitive jog wheels.
    If youre going to scratch, get something with touch sensitive jog wheels. the more resolution the better. But keep in mind they will always be less intuitive or reliable than turntables.

Tech Mentor

most new controllers you can upgrade to have a build in soundcard…
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast