An Apple Mac Virgin's new purchase - iMac - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Idk…I kinda just dived into live. But that was at version 4. Since then, it's been gradual as they add stuff…and I only got to the point where I was playing with it live in the past year or so. So, maybe that approach wasn't best.

So, yeah…I also had been DJing on vinyl, ssl, and CDs for a little while when I first got Live…if you know nothing, learn that first.
    Last edited by mostapha; 12-28-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Idk…I kinda just dived into live. But that was at version 4. Since then, it's been gradual as they add stuff.

But, yeah…I also had been DJing on vinyl, ssl, and CDs for a little while when I first got Live…if you know nothing, learn that first.
    Well I have used a DJM 800 and CDJ's for a couple of years but sold up a while back as I need the money and also didn't really have much time to focus on the music. So in terms of beat matching mixing etc I have experience in that area.

Ableton really attracted me as I liked the idea of performing live with my own samples and other full tracks, chopping them up mixing in different elements are creating quite progressive stuff. I was dead set on purchasing the vcm 600 and an apc40 and really focusing on using the software and learning all about it. I wanted to do this as knew there was so much that could be done with the program and also the ability to make my own music over time and utilise all the vst and fx capabilities. However the S4 came along and BANG i'm caught between sticking with the original idea or moving to traktor.

Traktor appeals to me because of its more DJ friendly set up (which i have traditionally come from) with quick loops and many que points along with the s4 ability to make samples and trigger them in synch. Cue points which a program like ableton doesn't have (without making more clips etc).

Both programs have advantages and disadvantages over each other but I want to have fun too rather than spending all my time mapping etc.

I'm thinking of the vestax vcm 600 and apc 40 as a combo for ableton. Between these two I will have full control over the software.

A couple of questions though regarding this setup: Can I use both controllers together to control the software? Is there a limit to how many controllers can be used i.e. can a button on tow different controllers activate/trigger a certain track?

I think Traktor S4 will be great also however I want to really get more out of the software other than a simple playing machine, I want to produce, Dj, implement live elements etc.

Cool.

I honestly think that the VCM alone gives better control…it just takes a bit of thinking and/or hacking. The red box launching thing happens as part of a midi remote script, so if you find that code, you can add that functionality to the VCM using the EQ kill, solo, and mute buttons. I've thought about doing that, but it turns out I don't miss it that much.

The last thing I did was adapting someone else's code so that the view-clip buttons jump to the playing clip in a track (if there is one) instead of the clip in the currently selected scene. And I'm working on hacking together more friendly looping controls.

Honestly, I don't see a need for the apc40, but…I was mostly working with full tracks, not pieces.

I'd say just get an S4 to start with, you can do a lot with loops etc with just that.

Gonna be a big learning curve to stretch an s4 to it's full capabilities.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I'd say just get an S4 to start with, you can do a lot with loops etc with just that.

Gonna be a big learning curve to stretch an s4 to it's full capabilities.
    +1 The sample recorder in the center of the unit is TOO powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    senior citizen's attics, the garbage dump, swamps, underwater treasure chests, graveyards, hollowed out tree stumps, abandoned coal mines.

Tech Wizard

I DID IT GUYS!!! I purchased the S4 and it should be with me TOMORROW 12pm!!!! I feel like I did when I bought my first Mitsubishi Evolution 6...I can't stop smiling!!!

I also purchased a pair of ADAM A3x Monitors (awesome)!

New IMac 27"
    New S4
    New Adam A3x Monitors

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Tech Wizard

OUT OF STOCK waiting for new batch to come in January now : ( something with the power supply, NI sent out a load of units with a missing power supply : 0 ???

Oh well, best things come to those who wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
    OUT OF STOCK waiting for new batch to come in January now : ( something with the power supply, NI sent out a load of units with a missing power supply : 0 ???

Oh well, best things come to those who wait!!
    Amen to the second part! And jesus man, Christmas was good to you this year! That sounds like a LOT of fun! I'm super jealous ! Congratulations! I guess you'll be spending many sleepless nights with people like me who stay up all night alongside the DJTT forums DJing in their bedroom!

Congratulations again! I'm excited for you!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

There's a recall on the European power supplies.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=125680
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Amen to the second part! And jesus man, Christmas was good to you this year! That sounds like a LOT of fun! I'm super jealous ! Congratulations! I guess you'll be spending many sleepless nights with people like me who stay up all night alongside the DJTT forums DJing in their bedroom!

Congratulations again! I'm excited for you!
    thanks buddy really appreciate that. The S4 is looking to be back in stock in about 2weeks so I bought the vestax vcm 600 instead for my ableton setup and will just add the s4 when it arrives. I may even end up having soo much fun with the vcm that i might map to run traktor, it has all the channels, knobs and buttons i could ever need for traktor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12