MIDI Fighter and joysticks
    Tech Mentor

Default MIDI Fighter and joysticks

So after a year of mixing on the vci-arcade, I feel like I want to add something new to my set up... and I think the midi fighter would suit my workflow well. I've been doing a lot of reading about it, and I am interested in hooking up a couple playstation joysticks to control fx, track selection, etc. (plus I just think that adding joysticks ties the whole arcade idea together!)

I am fairly confident in my tinkering skills, and i don't think any of the "building" would be an issue for me. but I could see myself having issues with the mapping and electrical aspects. as a beginner modder, do you more experienced folks think that this project would be possible for me? Is the midi fighter a good choice to get into the world of custom controllers?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

edit: sorry, thought I was in the mods forum. If someone could move it over that would be great
    Last edited by rami; 12-28-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Tech Mentor

DJTT makes a midi fighter that u can add joysticks too
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    DJTT makes a midi fighter that u can add joysticks too
    You sure they support joysticks? Doesn't seem like a usual MIDI input to me..

Tech Mentor

I thought ive seen a midi fighter witha joystick some where.....

http://techtools.myshopify.com/produ...ter-controller

scroll down till it says step 2
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

I have an old flight simulator joystick, which has been hacked from being a human interface to being a midi interface with interaction software. I have a friend who has hacked an old arcade control from a gaming machine he picked up in a car boot for 50p.

It required a lot of work as it originally wasn't a human interface and needed re soldering and wired up to some sort of programmable chip (don't know what it is called sorry ). It definitely is do able but requires a lot of patience and know it how!
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

You can add two joysticks to the midifighter. There are 4 expansion analogue ports on the pcb somewhere (2 for each joystick).

You can get a midi fighter custom made with 4 xtra buttons and 4 knobs or faders(or combo of knobs and faders) You can put a joystick or 2 on it. Because the joystick sends 2 midi notes you trade 2 of the knobs or faders for each joystick.

The joystick works like an X-Y pad. It will controll on the x axis for one midi note, and one on the y axis. I have for example set the x axis to controll Fx on, dry/wet, and gater with the y axis controlling the formant filter.