Question about timecode on the s4 and the software

Default Question about timecode on the s4 and the software

Hi guys,

I've been using my s4 for about a month now, got it on sale at my local Guitar center when they had their crazy black friday deals. Anyway I love it so far.

So my question is I know that traktor is coming out with software to enable timecodd vinyl and cds on it. Does that mean that I could in lug my laptop and say an audio 4 dj card then hook it up and run my s4 software without my s4? I'm hoping that is the case so I don't have to use two programs on one computer.

I'd like to keep my s4 at home and for house parties while having my audio dj 4 to play out with while still using my s4 pro software. I don't really want to transport my s4 everywhere, and for some places I play space is an issue, and just bringing a sound card and using their cdjs would be great.

I have scratch duo, but if I can use s4 software well that would be great due to the added effects.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can use your S4 software now without the controller. I've got a large portion of the sampler functions plus a few other things mapped to an X1 and there's no reason I couldn't map the X1 to control more stuff in the S4 software. There's also a hack to enable external mixing, which is what I think you want to do anyway.

http://traktorbible.com/en/kontrol_s...xing_mode.aspx
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

all i want is the software...Damn you Photojojo for showing me this....
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Patience my dear JesC, your time will come.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Patience my dear JesC, your time will come.
    No...I want it now! Are you threatening me!?

Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

so would this just be going through a mixer without the controller from what I understand, but it wouldn't be timecoded enabled, so I wouldn't be able to say sync up using cdjs, just have external mode mix through my laptop into the a mixer.

Thats a great option, and definitely a plus, but what im interested is the update that is suppose to enable timecode cds and vinyls. So if I had cdjs hooked up to an audio 4 and my laptop with timecoded cds in, I could mix as if it were scratch duo or pro software only with s4.

Does this make sense?

Yes that makes sense. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that as long as you had a scratch certified mixer or soundcard. Of course it's it's all speculation until the software/update is actually released.
    Chris Jennings FHP

well i hope to god it works out that way haha. It would a huge plus for me, and it would a big selling point to NI to be able to sell more soundcards.

I've been very curious for a while as to how S4 and TP/TSP audio device options may pan out. Before I thought this might be the one area TP/TSP may have more options, once S4 has timecode and TP/TSP gets S4 features.
    But looking at what is pos with the hack I'm guessing both will end up identical apart from appearance, suppose we'll find out soon.
    Being a scratch jock I can't wait till timecode vinyl come's to S4, but considering the jogs do a dam good job of being mini cdj, I'm surprised to read in a number of different places that many people are keen to hook up there pioneers to the S4.
    Last edited by Dubba Dutch; 01-04-2011 at 07:32 AM.