USB Stick recommendations?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USB Stick recommendations?

Well as the thread title states, anyone have any recommendations on USB flash drive sticks?

I want to get a pair, and wanted to know if anyone has had good luck with any particular brands. I know there are some bad apples out there, so I would be much obliged for any recommendations before I make a purchase.

I have about 20 gig of music, so 32 gig ones would be nice, but I could live easily with 8's or 16's.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

toshiba. i love mine.
    http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku...6-2202-683-0-2

i have an 8 gig one. its small and thin. never had any problems.

a bit expensive :/

at that price you can get a 500gb external and a half
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

There are two types of flash memory, SLC (single-level cell) and MLC (multi-level cell). The main difference between the two is that SLC is about twice as fast with the trade off of costing twice as much.

For the basic users these factors don't really matter and the majority of flash drives available use MLC memory because of the price. SLC memory is also rated to last about twice as long at MLC memory. The catch is that most drives don't tell you what type of memory is used. One of the only ways to tell is the cost, the more expensive a drive the more likely you are getting SLC memory. I recommend users look for some real world reviews of the drive that you might considering purchasing. Some of the better flash drives I have are:

Corsair Flash Voyager GT
    OCZ ATV Turbo
    Sandisk Cruzer Titanium Plus
    and the Corsair Flash Survivor GT.

Basically shop around, read reviews, and I HIGHLY recommend SLC drives.

[QUOTE=Spike240sx;202779]There are two types of flash memory, SLC (single-level cell) and MLC (multi-level cell). The main difference between the two is that SLC is about twice as fast with the trade off of costing twice as much.

Thanks Spike - interesting. Is there NO way of knowing if a flash is SLC (vs. MLC)? At this price is an external HDD not an option? What are the (dis)advantages of a flash (other than size)?
    For the record - I like Cruzer.

Most higher end online electronics stores will typically list what type it is. Look for a site that has this information. Its usually in "specs" tab area.

2 Big advantages of USB over External HDD-especially for music.

1-No moving parts. This means that the USB Drive is alot more resistant to drops, shocks, etc. Also Less weight and size for sure.

2-Speed. The fastest external HDD spinning 1 million kajigawatts still has to spin up and find the info. Yes, this may happen in easily less than 1/100000th blink of an eye, but its still time. This is biggest benefit in my opinion. Basically assures you of any error free reading from the drive.

till you get what happened on an old 2 gig i had from lexar where a folder got corrupt and i literally cannot do anything to get rid of it.

lucky me it was only 6 pictures.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Convert
    Baldivis, Western Australia (Ex Edinburgh, Scotland)

I used to work for Sandisk in Scotland so I'm biased!!! Try the SanDisk Ultra usb drive, it has better speed. stay away from bottom end cruzer, the flash used is too slow

"Better the devil you know". Thanks for tip - is that SLC?

I love my 8 gig sandisk cruzers, I recommend them highly!
    Look at me! I'm on the internet!

Tech Guru

Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast