Who's seen Copyright Criminals and/or Steal This Film II? Discuss...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who's seen Copyright Criminals and/or Steal This Film II? Discuss...

Last week I stole a virtual copy of something that was aired on PBS earlier this year. It's a documentary called Copyright Criminals and it goes in depth on art of sampling, it's effects on hip-hop, who's collecting royalties, and more. I also watched a film called Steal This Film II which was produced by the team that runs The Pirate Bay.

I'm well aware of the general consensus here about pirating music, and that is not the discussion.

These films both really made me open my eyes to see a bigger picture about how controlled our media has been since it's inception. I was also really pissed about who is collecting the royalties as in most cases it's not the artists at all but the owners of intellectual property. It's clearly obvious that the copyright laws need to be readdressed as they have not been touched for almost 40 years.

Lastly it lead me to read further on some newer artists, particularly Girl Talk and how the music industry is scared to sue him because they're pretty sure they will lose which will open up the flood gates.

Check out these films. They were awesomely informative and intriguing. Then discuss your thoughts here. I'm interested to see what you have to say.

would be nice if they have this movies on netflix.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It's on Hulu

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/201358/copyright-criminals"]Hulu - Copyright Criminals - Watch the full feature film now.@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/Rspe2xzWwfAaX5rgbI0EQA@@AMEPARAM@@Rspe2xzWwfAaX5rg bI0EQA[/ame]
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Will check it out. Copyright law, as I understand it now, is in a serious state of fucked up and doesn't appear to be improving.

thanks photojojo.

i think the op might be a hipster... because the irony of stealing something about copyrights...

im kidding. but its ironic.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

im most of the way done with copyright criminals.

apparently i cant tell the difference between the funky drummer and the amen break...
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Wizard

the director of copywrite criminals came to speak at my media arts class a month ago. really cool guy. he said that the biggest difficulty (somewhat ironically) of making the film was getting the rights to play certain tracks on his movie. and also, the interview he did with one of the hip hop groups brought them a lawsuit because on them they discussed a song that the james brown estate didnt know about.

sorry for rambling haha...

thats funny.

i was wondering if any of the guys were telling on them selves in there

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

"The industry is a menace to artists" - Nikki Sixx (Mötley Crüe)

Haven't seen Steal This Film (gotta torrent? lol) but Copyright Criminals is fantastic (and there's a much older video called Sonic Outlaws that addresses this stuff quite well if you can find it). Kembrew's book is great too if you're seeking further knowledge in this area -- it's called Freedom of Expression and he gives it away online, appropriately enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast