Not a great digital DJ yet, want a MIDI fighter, Have Numark V7
    Tech Mentor

Default Not a great digital DJ yet, want a MIDI fighter, Have Numark V7

I got a pair of V7's. They only support two decks and I have found it has limited me a lot in my mixing. I mostly mix top 40 at weddings and have found the controllers to be overkill because I lack the skills to properly mix across genres. I know top DJ's do it, but I just can't make a good transition between "Mambo No. 5" and "Red Solo Cup" if you know what I mean. When I do get a younger crowd I can make a few on the fly mashups but I am no good at scratching and quite honestly probably couldn't beatmatch the songs under pressure without the use of the sync feature.

I have been pining for a tractor controller and a midi fighter for some time realizing that I probably got on the wrong bandwagon with Itch. I just don't have another $1500 to drop on another set of controllers right now and I know the midi fighter doesn't make a good addition to Itch. Can I simply buy Tractor for my PC and hook up one of the Midi figher pros without a tractor controller and DJ that way or do I need a controller too? Is there an inexpensive controller I can use to cue, start and crossfade the songs and do all of my DJing on the MIDI figher or do I need to buckle down, learn to master my V7's and then start branching out into other controllers?

You can use Traktor with a Midi fighter and use a keyboard mapping to DJ with Traktor. Or you can buy a small controller like a Hercules MK4 that will let you control the decks.

For wedding DJ's, scratching and turntablism routines aren't necessary because essentially you just want people do dance and they're not going to pay attention to scratches.

But also a MIDI Fighter might not be the best option for your situation. Although they are great controllers, It's going to require a bit more expertise on crossfading between songs. If you're having trouble with that now it's only going to make things worse with a controller that is going to be a bit more advanced.

Honestly I'd recommend purchasing perhaps a Traktor S2 if you want to use the Traktor software. You can pick up a MIDI Fighter bundle too.

Tech Mentor

There are a lot of untapped clubs here. A friend of mine who is a good club DJ got a resident gig at a local club and has filled his schedule and gives his overflow to me. I think he finally quit his day job. He gets all kinds of mid-week gigs. He tweeted about mixing at a sushi restaurant the other day on a Thursday. I want to be that busy. I need to get good. I feel limited by the V7's two decks and would like to learn tractor so that I can get good at mixing for the club environment, and because it's the whole reason I got into DJing. I figured if I could get a small setup to practice on and then get the Traktor S4 that would be awesome. I really like the idea of playing with a MIDI fighter. It reminds me off my first drum machine. Anyway, if I could limp into Traktor and using the MIDI fighter to practice at home I think that might get me ready for the club sooner. I can make simple mashups and do some club mixing but am not good with the itch effects and find that mostly I am just crossfading songs instead of mixing them.