Ableton Live's "Warp" alternative?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ableton Live's "Warp" alternative?

Loathe as I am to do this, being so new to these forums, I feel that the community around here might be my best hope for a solid answer.

Does a program exist that will allow me to normalize tempo in a track? Something like Ableton's Warp function, without the $400 DAW attached. I do all of my mixing in Traktor Pro, and would just like a way to normalize the tempo of tracks with live drums for looping purposes. (I work with a lot of '80s pop and rock in my sets.) If an application exists solely for this purpose, that'd be great.

I tried the search function, and the results were almost two years old, so I figured it might be safe to ask about it now, in case something new has popped up in the interim. And perhaps my question has been sufficiently answered in a post that would not be included with my search terms... in which case a link would be appreciated if you know of one.

(You'll have to excuse me if my tone sounds overly apologetic, I have become accustomed to extraordinarily unhelpful internet communities where the attitude generally runs in the direction of "if you don't already posses my highly specialized knowledge, then you are obviously an idiot and I am not going to help you learn.")

Thanks in advance for any help or any attempts to that end.

Tech Guru

not that i know of, but someone on here might have a copy of live LE that come free with most midi controllers they might be willing to part with
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

idk about any alternatives, but is it possible for you to get the demo of Live 8 and warp what you need in teh 30 days the trial allots you?

might be a loophole if there is no other viable answers to your problem

Edit: shit i was a little late on the draw there. chris beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Thanks for the answers. I suppose I'll just check out my options on the Ableton front... there's bound to be something I can do.

Re-Cycle can do this for you if you are only "warping" short loops.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PIX-1138 View Post
    (You'll have to excuse me if my tone sounds overly apologetic, I have become accustomed to extraordinarily unhelpful internet communities where the attitude generally runs in the direction of "if you don't already posses my highly specialized knowledge, then you are obviously an idiot and I am not going to help you learn.")
    Haha, we try to avoid stuff like that here. Welcome to the forums!
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

After checking the feature comparison chart over at Ableton, it looks like the APC40 edition of Live, and Live Intro do not support "Complex" and "Complex Pro" warping.

Most of the time I do not use these modes. I use "Pitch," because the quality sounds better. However with "pitch" if the song needs dramatic warping, sometimes the shift in pitch becomes to distracting to the song. In these times I use one of the Complex modes for heavily warped parts of songs.

That being said, I have probably Warped 85% of my songs in Pitch mode, even live band tracks that shift tempo a lot.

For drum loops, Beats Mode is fine. For other tracks (when re-pitch isn't gonna cut it because of tempo drift), Tones/Texture Mode will work fine.

Tones/Texture mode just needs a bit of fiddling about with to make it sound good. Every track will need different settings for Tones/Texture Mode to minimise the number of artifacts introduced by warping.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

This is something I've wondered from time to time. I have no need for ableton, but I need to make some nice edits to work old rock and country into my sets.

Watching this thread.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoNolan View Post
    ...I have no need for ableton, but I need to make some nice edits to work old rock and country into my sets...

Ableton works great for this, and plenty more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast