Putting together a Production Studio
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Putting together a Production Studio

So my year off from college is halfway done. and im looking to have a in-dorm production studio when I go back. I just wanted some DJTT input on the stuff i'm about to buy and maybe some alternatives but I don't have alot of space or cash to work with so small, cheap, and powerful is what I'm looking for.

I already have Ableton Suite 8 and an APC 40 but im looking to buy:

-KRK Rokit 5/6's
    -Akai MPK 25
    -Audio4 DJ
    -Native Instruments Komplete Elements
    -1TB external Hard Drive
    -7 Slot USB Hub

do I really NEED anything else? or is any of this completely unnecessary?

Tech Mentor

the rokit 5's don't go deep enough for a edm production. you'd need a sub with them.

and i would consider a Novation SL MkII, because of the functionality of automap.

and for production purposes i'd go for a m-audio fast track pro instead of audio4 dj, just more versatile, and your are going to mix internally anyway.

just my thoughts about it
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Tech Wizard

what sub should I get with the rokits? and that novation sl mkII looks raw. that is definitely an option. i'd definitely have to wait a while to get it though. thanks for the input.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    the rokit 5's don't go deep enough for a edm production. you'd need a sub with them.

and i would consider a Novation SL MkII, because of the functionality of automap.

and for production purposes i'd go for a m-audio fast track pro instead of audio4 dj, just more versatile, and your are going to mix internally anyway.

just my thoughts about it
    Im using Rockit 5s and they have a nice bass and mid sound. the his are controllable on the back. Why arent they deep enough? am i missing something>?
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Mentor

I'd recommend rokit 6's

I use them for dubstep/drum and bass production and find the bass to be very good actually. Just make sure you set them up well and find the sweetspot within your room, your not gonna hear real deep bass unless your a couple metres away, if not further...

as for synths it depends on what you making, but I cannot recommend NI massive enough, has so much depth and option for modulation that I use it for almost every synth I construct.

I'd also be against the audio4 DJ as a production interface. any USB/Firewire interface designed for production will suffice but its always the case that the more you spend the better it is likely to be...
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

I would recommend getting the Audio 2 DJ or Audio Kontrol 1 (unless your going to be using DVS).

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure Massive comes with Komplete Elements. and i definitely planned on using that for most of my synths. I'm still planning on getting the rokits. I'm just confused about the audio interface. what differentiates a production audio interface from a "DJ" one i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Drowzy View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure Massive comes with Komplete Elements. and i definitely planned on using that for most of my synths. I'm still planning on getting the rokits. I'm just confused about the audio interface. what differentiates a production audio interface from a "DJ" one i guess?
    DJ interfaces tend to be more robust, smaller and have only as many in/outputs as you really need while production interfaces tend to be bigger and have more in/outputs, volume control knobs etc.

Tech Wizard

word. thanks for clearing that up. i think i have the info to pull together a small but really powerful studio. even though i wont have it all until probably the end of summer. thanks yall

Tech Mentor

DJ interfaces tend to have lots of phono (RCA) outputs/inputs and not a lot else.

Whereas a production interface will tend to have mic/line input(s) with gain control, balanced 1/4" or XLR outputs with volume control as well as a headphone out with its own volume control which can be handy at 3 in the morning when your still tweaking stuff!

You could use a audio4 hooked up to your rokits directly and then re-wire it for DJing, but I'd recommend having two separate interfaces, especially as you can pick up a pretty simple production interface with everything you need pretty cheap.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast