I feel like such a douchebag right now - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_G View Post
    I REALLY dislike Juno's layout.
    I don't mind the layout. I just find the site sluggish in general. They've got some other wonky stuff... like you can only select a release for details, not a track. Not a big deal, but hey... a deal.

Anyways, for whomever is filing debates we should never have again, someone file this one between Sync or No Sync and Mac vs. Windows.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    I don't mind the layout. I just find the site sluggish in general. They've got some other wonky stuff... like you can only select a release for details, not a track. Not a big deal, but hey... a deal.

Anyways, for whomever is filing debates we should never have again, someone file this one between Sync or No Sync and Mac vs. Windows.
    I wasnt really debating, just sharing what I was thinking and opening it for discussion because I felt it was relevent.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    I wasnt really debating, just sharing what I was thinking and opening it for discussion because I felt it was relevent.
    I gotcha. I just think it's going to come down to preference just about every time. I'm pretty visible in the retro games community, and there was a poster that claimed that buying used (physical) games is just as unethical as downloading ROMs. :eek:

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    I gotcha. I just think it's going to come down to preference just about every time. I'm pretty visible in the retro games community, and there was a poster that claimed that buying used (physical) games is just as unethical as downloading ROMs. :eek:
    This came up quite a bit when I worked at shiny entertainment back in the day. thats considered "grey market" games.

and as a guy thats slaved away on more than one video game. id have to say, theres a reason games are all moving to a subscription online model. developers should be paid for their work.

making a video game, especially with today's required production values, is harder and more demanding than any average gamer could even possibly fathom.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

making a video game, especially with today's required production values, is harder and more demanding than any average gamer could even possibly fathom.
    +1000 from a developer that just made a AAA in just over a year. We dont even get paid overtime. People at mcdonalds get paid more than I do.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

This came up quite a bit when I worked at shiny entertainment back in the day. thats considered "grey market" games.

and as a guy thats slaved away on more than one video game. id have to say, theres a reason games are all moving to a subscription online model. developers should be paid for their work.

I agree that developers should be paid, but I also think consumers should be able to opt out of something that could very well be a turd if they deem necessary. It's debatable yes, and I know why the games are going to online subscription... I also know why a lot of us old schoolers are simply not buying those games (other than b/c most of them suck ass these days too, but that's another story).

Obviously publishers realize that not having the option to resell is going to hurt sales, other wise major publishers wouldn't allow a transfer of license. Sticky, to say the least. Too bad the games industry is following music. (Where's the cry emoticon?)

We dont even get paid overtime.
    Same here. I'm a developer by trade as well, so I feel for you. I would imagine that working in an industry where so many people want to work, you're going to sacrifice a LOT. I work in one of the non-sexy industries, w/ games as a side business and that's almost enough to burn me out. I love developing, but it can get on the nerves. I don't get overtime "technically" either but I get a fair performance bonus... I'm also on call pretty much 24/7 though. True story, I SSH'ed into work on my iPhone to restart some processes at a gig, about 15 minutes before I went on.
    Last edited by kiss-o-matic; 01-09-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

I browse Mobile Beatport instead.
    You can reach it via http://m.beatport.com .

A while back I've written a Greasemonkey-script to show a preview player for all the tracks:
    http://en.www.ali.dj/beatport-mobile...firefox-addon/

DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    I browse Mobile Beatport instead.
    You can reach it via http://m.beatport.com .
    What's the upside to this, other than HTML, presumably?

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Faster loading, but it lacks some features sadly.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Filterkat

yeah, plus mobile beatport u can use on the go, on your iphone or smartphone or whatever... its great for checking out tracks and hearing them on the go. you can log in, add to cart, and when you get home there waiting to download. gr8 stuff i think.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast