Hardware Question
    Tech Convert

Default Hardware Question

Hello, some nice forums ya got here. Anyways, I have a question for anyone with more experience than I out there.
    First of all, I've been playing around with VirtualDJ and TraktorPro for a couple years now and want to step it up and get a little more serious. I have no hardware but am getting pretty good with these two mixing programs and have a good understanding of basic DJing. I want to get a legit hardware/software setup going in the next few months or so for mixing with mp3's and digital. I've pretty much decided that I'm gonna go with Traktor pro in the future as it seems a much more stable and widely used platform than virtualDJ (and I can't really get into ableton or anything else). I've been doing a little research and think what I really want is the s4. Trouble is, can't really afford it yet and probably won't be able to till this summer or so. Anyhowwww, my primary questions were:

1) Would the s4 be a good investment for a semi-beginner dj? I still have a lot of learning ahead. any user reviews and opinions are welcome.

2) Are there any legit, inexpensive mixers that I could purchase and practice with (that work w/traktor) til I get the money for the s4? or should I just keep saving up for the s4? I'm talking in the 0-$200 range here (maybe a bit more if its worth it) as I'm pretty poor atm.

I like to play electro/tech/progressive/whatever house mostly with the occasional dubstep or dnb thrown in btw. Any input will help. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulgasm View Post
    1) Would the s4 be a good investment for a semi-beginner dj? I still have a lot of learning ahead. any user reviews and opinions are welcome.

2) Are there any legit, inexpensive mixers that I could purchase and practice with (that work w/traktor) til I get the money for the s4? or should I just keep saving up for the s4? I'm talking in the 0-$200 range here (maybe a bit more if its worth it) as I'm pretty poor atm.
    Hey! First of all, welcome to the forums!

As for your questions:
    1) I am a beginner DJ as well. My first piece of hardware was my S4. The thing I love about it is, it's easy to setup, I mean its essentially plug and play (aside from calibration which is easy as hell). You don't have to worry about sound cards and what not.

It's also great to learn on because it allowed me to fully control the software from my controller, especially since you're familiar with the software - everything will be at your fingertips.

On top of that its ability to keep you learning is insane, as in - for lack of a better way of explaining it at 4:30AM - you can keep on learning shit, and there's always more to learn, the only limit you have is your imagination!

I have been DJing for about 2 and a half months now, and I have been getting extremely comfortable with DJing with 2 decks so a few weeks ago I decided to try to incorporate 2 decks and add loops and one shots and things, you can just keep on going.

It's a phenomenal piece of equipment.

2) As for your second question, I was initially going to pick up a Vestax DJay (Available from the Apple store) for $250 I believe. There was someone selling theirs on these forums, and they said they loved it as well.

I'd definitely check that out.

Hope this helped a little!
    Coldfuzion

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The S4 is a fantastic controller for a beginner and a Pro alike. It gives you the software, controller and sound card all in one package. The controller is easy to use as a basic piece of equipment and then keep learning the different things it can do as you go. As far as a beginner controller the Spin/Djay combo are decent. Look around the for sale section as people are always upgrading.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Whoops! Quick correction:
    Originally I said Djay, I meant Vestax Spin.

Here's the forum dude who is selling it:http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ht=vestax+djay

I would watchout though, he only has a few posts on the forums so it may be a better idea to buy it straght from Apple.

Here's the link to the Apple store:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...co=MTUwNzc5MTI

There ya go!

I didn't read any of the replies, so sorry…

1) Yes.

2) Honestly, the M-audio X-session Pro isn't bad for very basic mixing. I had one as a temporary "i need a 'mixer' today" kind of thing, and it works…but I also got mine used for $50.

It won't give you full control over Traktor Pro by any stretch of the imagination, but for $90, you could do a lot worse. I'm selling mine to a friend and working out a basic TSI for him…you'd get EQs, channel volumes, a crossfader, and control over 2 effects units in TP. You'd also get cue and play buttons but no hot cues or looping controls.

You would also need an audio interface to be able to cue (Audio 2 DJ is the cheapest that I'd bother with). It's not as "good" as something like the Vestax Spin/Typhoon, but it costs less and will get you used to hardware without impacting your S4 savings quite as badly. $190 + tax and (possibly) shipping for a limited setup vs. spending $300 + tax and (possibly) shipping for a less limited piece of hardware. If you don't have speakers you plan to use, the typhoon is a better choice, since it has extra controls to let you mix b/t cue and master in the headphones and use a crossfader. I don't use a crossfader, so that's what I had it do on the x-session pro.

I'd go with one of those in your position if you don't want to wait.

Also, I like how everyone assumed you use a Mac…I don't remember you mentioning that. If you don't use a Mac…vestax does make both the Spin and Typhoon…I think they're identical except that one is sold in Apple stores and the other is supposedly for PCs…I'm not sure if there's an actual difference or if it's just marketing…but it might not hurt to buy the right one or at least do research before you buy the wrong one so as to save yourself a headache.
    Last edited by mostapha; 01-05-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Tech Convert

Ah cool cool, thanks alot everyone. I actually do have a pc though haha. I'm looking into that x-session pro but I think I'm just gonna save for the s4. I've heard mostly everything I need to know and think it would be perfect to start out on.