Use a midi controller in Serato Scratch Live
    Tech Guru

Default Use a midi controller in Serato Scratch Live

Just found this on the Serato forums. I know copypasta is cheesy but whatever, I think if this info should be mirrored anywhere, it should be here.

if its a repost, sorry, this is totally news to me.

thread link at the bottom as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copy these four Lines into your Midi Preset.
    Quote:
    <Control name="Platter Control Left" channel="8" event_type="Note On" control="89" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Left" channel="8" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative Binary Offset" control="76" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Right" channel="9" event_type="Note On" control="89" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Right" channel="9" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative Binary Offset" control="76" />

Save and close.

Open SSL
    Reload that preset in SSLs Setup Screen.

Then make your Hardware send the corresponding values with Bomes Midi Translator or something similar, or if your hardware is configurable, configure directly.

Maybe you can try what happens if you change the values in the XML so they match your Hardware. (Did not try that part).
    For simplicity i just used the ones i found in the XML for my VIDEO PROOF: www.youtube.com view (German, and hardware not really suitable)

To explain the code:
    Midi Channel 8 is for left Deck, midi channel 9 for right deck
    Note 89 is for "touching the platter" on either side, the platter is considered touched if a "Note on" with value >= 64 is sent.
    The platter is considered released when a "note off" with value <= 63 is sent.
    For the Movement: while the platter is allready touched, the platter must send CC 76 on the corresponding channel , where sending of values between 0 and 63 is backwards movement and 64 to 127 is forward movement
    (waveforms move as long as something is sent. value determines speed and direction of movement)

Originally posted in this german thread:
    www.serato.com

Inspired by Stanton's SCS3d Preset (Source: forums.stantondj.com ) for Scratch Live. Thats where the Code comes from.
    All i did is copy the right lines of code.

Enjoy and maybe report back if it works for you. At 6:22 PM 6 October 2010radikarl wrote Update: You can put any channel and any Note / CC in the Code. just make sure you use "note on" messages for touching and "Control change" messages for Motion quotereportlink At 4:00 PM 7 October 2010radikarl wrote Update 2:
    you should use a third line of code for each deck to enable switching between scratch mode and jog mode, and assign a button to it:
    Quote:
    <Control name="Platter Control Left" channel="8" event_type="Note On" control="4" key="ctrl" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Right" channel="9" event_type="Note On" control="4" key="ctrl" />

As soon as you hit the button mapped to this, (in my example Channel 8 Note 4 for Left Deck)

behaviour changes, and the touching of the platter is ingored. Instead, you can now pitch-pend with your Platters.

This is also interesting for people who's hardware has no touch sensitive platters:
    switch to jog mode and at least use your platter to pitch bend the track

Now Overall, apart from your normally mapped controls, your Midi Config XML should contain something like this:
    Quote:
    <midi>
    <Control name="Platter Control Left" channel="8" event_type="Note On" control="4" key="ctrl" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Left" channel="8" event_type="Note On" control="89" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Left" channel="8" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative Binary Offset" control="76" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Right" channel="9" event_type="Note On" control="4" key="ctrl" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Right" channel="9" event_type="Note On" control="89" />
    <Control name="Platter Control Right" channel="9" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative Binary Offset" control="76" />

(FOLLOWED BY YOUR REGULAR MAPPINGS HERE)

</midi>

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/334327#new
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Mentor

:eek: wow that looks cool, do you think they will implement something like this in the software this year to use other controllers.

nice find, i think we should copy that thread before serato shuts it down. :: thinking out loud ::
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

saved the thread to a word document

now ill have to figure out how to chop it up into 10000 char pieces due to the post size limit
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Student

just to help you a little.

what everyone seems to overlook while saving the original thread is:

The Denon line is mandatory.

as i said here:
    http://www.serato.com/forum/discussion/334327#3990935