OT: How do Americans find colleges? [HELP!]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: How do Americans find colleges? [HELP!]

Hey hey,

I live in Norway, and basically I want to get the hell out of here. Its hard to find schools though, How do you guys do it? Why do I want to get away?
    a) I need an education, I would like one in modern art/film editing/modern music/photography <-- This last one would be a lot of fun.

I've been thinking about either Los Angeles or New York City. Kinda hooked on NYC at the moment because I was there for three days a couple of years ago (My whole family are in the airline business so I've travelled a lot) and I still feel like I didnt get enough of the tall buildings and huge crowds of people - However, I know LA more because I've spent two weeks there three years ago.

So two questions.

a) What way is the best way to find a school that I would potentially like? I'm lost
    b) Which city should I go for?
    - Underage drinking, I'm originally from a Danish family where its legal to drink at age 16. Is it hard to drink under 21 in the US? I'm 19 now.

Happy DJing in 2011 guys :-)

You can start by talking to your College/Career advisor at your school if you have one. Join those college forums that a lot of parents like to go on heh (like http://www.collegeconfidential.com/). You can look at college books as well that are geared towards art schools. It's kinda hard initially to figure stuff out because there is a lot of crap schools. But hopefully these things will point you in the right direction

Also for your thirst for booze, it's easy to get some if you know a guy / go to a party / there are places where they don't even check ID.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by looneygeorge View Post
    Hey hey,

I live in Norway, and basically I want to get the hell out of here. Its hard to find schools though, How do you guys do it? Why do I want to get away?
    a) I need an education, I would like one in modern art/film editing/modern music/photography <-- This last one would be a lot of fun.

I've been thinking about either Los Angeles or New York City. Kinda hooked on NYC at the moment because I was there for three days a couple of years ago (My whole family are in the airline business so I've travelled a lot) and I still feel like I didnt get enough of the tall buildings and huge crowds of people - However, I know LA more because I've spent two weeks there three years ago.

So two questions.

a) What way is the best way to find a school that I would potentially like? I'm lost
    b) Which city should I go for?
    - Underage drinking, I'm originally from a Danish family where its legal to drink at age 16. Is it hard to drink under 21 in the US? I'm 19 now.

Happy DJing in 2011 guys :-)
    LA Vs. NYC

Los Angeles=NO snow plus grea weather, no crazy liberal laws, like u cant smoke on sidewalks(new law in NYC). Film school wise we have lots of programs here.

NYC=lots of snow, crazy laws. not sure about film schools, but i mean come on there 3000 miles away from Hollywood.

as far as underage drinking, well I mean in college anything goes. I dont know many sober freshmen, hahahaha. i dont think this wil be a problem for ya, just cant go to the bars, which isnt much of a lose.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

I would look into taking advantage of a community college in the city you choose. its much much cheaper and your credits will account for your education; at least until you a school you want to attend

education in america is pretty standardized. The only difference between expensive schools is nicer landscaping.

I'd just go online, dig around for some schools that teach what you're interested in and have them send you info.

San Fransisco's got some great art schools, too! Of course, I'm a California boy, so i'm a little biased about what coast to be on.

Been a long time since since I was too young to go to bars, but they're pretty tight about underage drinkers in my area. Young people get fake IDs or stay home and drink, as far as I know.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Thank you for the tips! :-) Keep them coming!

Tech Guru

if your grades and finances can swing it. it really doesnt get much better than the George Lucas School of Film at USC in Los Angeles
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

www.collegeboard.com

Your non-american so you have an advantage if your grades are good for most schools.

edit: to the underage drinking thing...now-a-days all schools are party schools. I have never heard of one that is not. However keep one important fact in mind, find out how many people commute to the school your interested in. High commute=dead during the weekends

most schools offer programs like that in some form or another, look around. i mean if your hell bent on doing that specificly and know thats for sure what you want, go to a specialized school, if your looking for a bit of fun..... shop around. Even look in teh general areas surrounding LA and NYC, its mad easy to commute into the cities for a taste of city life.

that and the more people the better. i personally thought id like a small school (i went to private schools growing up, and ended up at a shool in teh middle of nowhere) so i went to a small college. big mistake. all the girls were used up by the end of their freshman year and it was just kinda like get the hell away from me bitch, youz nasty!

plus if your from norway, you prob dont see football much, so a D1 sport school might be something to look into. College Football tailgates/games are fantastic. oh the women at massive schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

Chapman University in Orange, CA also has a pretty respected tv and film department. technically its a "Christian University" and costs almost as much as USC. But youd never know it looking at the people that come out of their film department.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast