Help with mixing other genres the house 4/4 EDM
    Tech Convert

Default Help with mixing other genres the house 4/4 EDM

Since I started DJ'ing I've always played house music in various sub genres that basically stuck to the 4/4 beat structure.

I have dabbled with some breaks stuff but only things with a similar 4/4 structure.

My new resolution is to try and mix up some other genres as I play sets that are mainly mashups and I'd like to mix things up a but with some different genres. I came across DJ AM and DJ Cobra recently and love their stuff.

Initally I want to mix stuff that is based around commercial hip hop/rnb as this is used as the base for a lot of mashups/blends that I want to use. Although I'm not looking to become a scratch guru I am having trouble getting my head around the structure of mixing. By structure I mean in dance musically you typically have the 1 minute intro and outro that you overlap to create a mix.

I've searched google and youtube and found a couple of videos that explain the basics of counting, drops and cutting but they aren't that indepth. Any home users mixes are either two bad or two advanced to follow that I have found.

What I really need advice on is the following:

1. Are there any good resources preferably videos to check out on how to mix (beat match) rnb/hip hop?

2. What are good tunes to start practicing with, stuff I found on itunes and CD's are almost radio edits with no intro or outro. I'm so new to the sound I'm not sure if thats the norm and are meant to be mixed by dropping/cutting in ?

I'm a newbie to this sound so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

p.s using TSP and X1

Tech Guru

watch ean's routines on youtube

watch dj z-trip on youtube (pretty much the godfather of the mash up)

youll have a much better idea on how they do what they do after doing that.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Guru

Phrase matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    Phrase matching.
    yup. find spots of good instrumentals in one song and mix in teh vocals of another. can get tricky sometimes cause some rappers and what not dont always adhere to a set structure (like 16 beat intro, 8 hook, 16 chorus - just picking numbers at random)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

thanks, I had a look at their videos as well as DJ Enferno, DJ Cobra and DJ Divsa.

One of my friends that plays Urban told me to check out Select Mix stuff that has longer intros and outros for beat matching. They are US based and I'm in the UK. Just wondered if there is anything similar in the UK or other sites that have download options?

Wouldn't bother. Just beatgrid your tracks and loop the intros/outros.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

With tricky tunes you could always do cheeky re-edit's so they fit you sets