first time buying dj gear, need help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default first time buying dj gear, need help

This is my first post, so hello..

Anyways, i've been really trying to get into djing, specifically digital djing with a midi controller. I've always loved music with a passion, and now i feel the need to manipulate and mix it.

For the past few weeks i've been researching and doing my homework on djing and gear and finally set my mind on what to buy and i would like to know what you guys think since you are all more experienced.

After all my homework was done, i'm thinking of buying a vci-100 and a numark dj i/o soundcard, or Audio 2 DJ. The vci-100 seems like a really good controller to start with, and to keep using when i get better.

I want to know what you guys think, any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also i was thinking about getting the vci-100SE instead, mainly because i'm interested in incorporating beat juggling into sets, to make the experience much more dynamic, and also because from what i've seen, it let's you manipulate effects and sound with ease thanks to the firmware upgrades from djtt.

Sorry for the long post, but i really want to make the right decision on this first time buy.

defo go with the vci 100 se! it´s a solid controller and you wont be disapointed. and for the soundcart i recommend you the audio2!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Finally, a new person that has done some homework!
    i reccommend you read my new thread on starting out,
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22857
    Just change the hercules controller with the VCI-100,
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

get the audio 2.

i have a dj i/o. nothing wrong with it at all, but its kind of ugly, plasticy and its bigger than the audio 2
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Convert

Hey buddy....I was in your shoes about a year ago....I went through different pieces of equipment. I was fortunate to not lose any cash in the process and still end up with a grreat set-up.

In my opinion and from the mixing and spinning I have done (not to say I have a ton of experience) I think the VCI-100SE is the best, next to the Arcade and S4. The VCI-100SE gives you total versatility of mixing and controlling Traktor Pro, and for a couple hundred dollars less. As for a good sound card. I would definitely say the Audio 2 or Audio 4 from Native Instruments would be an awesome choice. NI sound card will rock the house and are SIMPLE to use.

So an overview

Midi Controller:

VCI-100SE or Arcade
    Native Instrument Kontrol S4

Sound Card:

Native Instrument Audio 2 or Audio 4

Headphone:

Spend a little money and get a good set. Usually between $75-$150 will get you a good pair of headphones.

DJ software:

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS TRAKTOR PRO........THE BEST!!!!

If I can help you with any other questions just shoot me a message.

N-RO

in terms of headphones, i own a pair of denon hp 1000 and pioneer hdj 500. i love both of them. if you need to block out more sound go for the denons (if you want something close to its price range) and if you need a cheaper pair go for the pioneers
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Guru

if you go the vci 100 route. buy an se. you couldnt pay me to buy one of those new vci 100 mk2's

vci 300 mk2 totally different story and should also be considered. you can use traktor pro with it, it comes with serato itch. so you can use both and decide for yourself which one is for you.

dont let anyone make that decision for you.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

thanks for the feedback guys!

yeah i'm pretty sure the vci-100se is the right choice, most of all because of the versatility, and also because i won't have to buy new gear for a long time thanks to the firmware and mapping support from djtt and the strong build it has.

i'll take your advice on the audio2 soundcard aswell. thanks

ps: i had to do my homework before posting here, i've seen other new members post "help me" threads and most of them don't know much about anything and i've seen the responses they get for that :P so yea, homework was a must.

ps2: hoodless, your post was part of my homework, great thread, lots of helpful info

It seems like the biggest concern now that you've got the basics squared away, is if you want (or have the funding for) arcade buttons or not :P

Really though, you've got a solid setup planned.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

hehe, about that... i mentioned controllerism and beat juggling as point of interests, but i don't want to get ahead of myself. I was thinking of maybe buying a midi-fighter down the road, they look sick, and the possibilities seem endless (plus i'm a diehard fan of arcade fighting games :P )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast