[OT]Does anyone know how to wipe a laptop so it can be sold - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    Not if he wanted to completely the wipe the hard drive of anything (including the OS). I know what CCleaner is, I use it myself. But there is no way it can get rid of ALL user data.
    LOl it can and it does. you just have to check the right boxes. He dosnt want to wipe the entire HD. Read OP. he not tech savy so dban and eraser are not good chooices. the best solution would be to just use the resource disk. but if he dosnt have that, then what? wipe the drive? then whats he gonna do? what if he dosnt have a XP or win 7 install disk? then what?

I understand what ur saying, and i would of course do this myself, but iv been working professonaly on PCS & macs for over 10 years. but u need to (excuse me for this ohmydaze) dumb it down a bit so he can accomplish what he wants the simplest way possible. If he was tech savy Id tell him to do the DOD wipe. LOL, 7 pass of 1's and 0's. But hes not tech savy, hes proably never reinstalled windows. If ur not tech savy this stuff is like spanish.

Also for alot of non tech folks accessing the resource partition is a major pain in the A.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    LOl it can and it does. you just have to check the right boxes. He dosnt want to wipe the entire HD. Read OP. he not tech savy so dban and eraser are not good chooices. the best solution would be to just use the resource disk. but if he dosnt have that, then what? wipe the drive? then whats he gonna do? what if he dosnt have a XP or win 7 install disk? then what?

I understand what ur saying, and i would of course do this myself, but iv been working professonaly on PCS & macs for over 10 years. but u need to (excuse me for this ohmydaze) dumb it down a bit so he can accomplish what he wants the simplest way possible. If he was tech savy Id tell him to do the DOD wipe. LOL, 7 pass of 1's and 0's. But hes not tech savy, hes proably never reinstalled windows. If ur not tech savy this stuff is like spanish.
    hey!

but your right dumbing down to the extreme works best for me. I've never installed windows or anything like that.

to be honest I'll probably end up taking the lappy to the local computer place to do it for me as I'll be worried I'll balls it up!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ohmydaze View Post
    hey!

but your right dumbing down to the extreme works best for me. I've never installed windows or anything like that.

to be honest I'll probably end up taking the lappy to the local computer place to do it for me as I'll be worried I'll balls it up!

thats probably the best idea. Local pc guy will wipe it and then reinstall the os from scratch.'

And again nooffense man on the dumbing down. I just work with alot of enduser types and i know how to work with u folks. trying to tell u to download open source software that wipes the drive, including the os, will just confuss u to know end. not to mention the reinstall of the os, plus drivers. LOL it will be a mess. believe iv seen some nasty stuff i my time.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

I'm a total computer retard. But since getting my MBP the wife had my lappy. But she never uses it so we are thinking of selling it. Is there any easy way i can wipe everything from it, remembering I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world!
    It's not even that hard with a bit of reasearch to be honest. But whatever.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    thats probably the best idea. Local pc guy will wipe it and then reinstall the os from scratch.'

And again nooffense man on the dumbing down. I just work with alot of enduser types and i know how to work with u folks. trying to tell u to download open source software that wipes the drive, including the os, will just confuss u to know end. not to mention the reinstall of the os, plus drivers. LOL it will be a mess. believe iv seen some nasty stuff i my time.
    none taken my man, i work as an accountant and know for a fact when I start talking shop most people dont need it dumbing down, they just wish I'd shut the hell up!

this is my research innit!

this is my research innit!
    Do you wanna get rid of the whole operating system and leave a blank hard drive without an operating system or just a fresh install of a new operating system?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

Read between the lines bro. when was the last time u sold a laptop with out an OS? I mean really....

Do you wanna get rid of the whole operating system and leave a blank hard drive without an operating system or just a fresh install of a new operating system?
    being a total tech tard the idea of someone wanting to buy a lappy with no operating system didnt really cross my mind innit. So goes without saying Id want to keep it on there.

dell inspiron 1525
    Not that you would want to remove the HDD, but it is pretty straight forward if you are interested:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1180023
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast