Think I'm going Jekyll 'n Hyde on this DJ'ing business!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Think I'm going Jekyll 'n Hyde on this DJ'ing business!

Right I am serious, I have NEVER in my whole life been more 50/50 about something like I am right now.
    There's always some part of you that KNOWS what you deep down think is right or the best thing for you.
    I hope this is not something millions of people have opened threads about before me, but I just need opinions from you guys and hopefulle more guys and girls out there have the same problem, I want advice from the grumpy old Vinyl DJ's, the CDj's and of course all the controllerists out there.

To get to the point, I want to take DJ'ing to the next level and really get something that I can play with in the clubs, and really being able to progress with my gear without being turned down by promotors and such, I mean I am willing to pay the price for the gear I need, but what and WHY?

I have been on som many forums (seriously spending too much time on forums in this matter) and all the different opinions on this is driving me crazy! To play with CD's or mp3's (of course bought mp3's)
    controllers such as the TS4 or CDj's and a mixer.

I have learned how to DJ on a controller and in traktor, and I'm good at it. But I mean, Am I stupid to throw away 1000 bucks on a ts4 or should I get cd decks and learn on these to always be able to play the clubs own mixers and decks, or just go for something like the TS4 and now my software and controller, and be able to always bring this to a club?

I am REALLY not trying to take an easy or simple approach into DJ'ing because I dedicate my life and all my time on music, but I mean will CD's seriously "devolve" more and more?

I just need any kind of hints on how you guys base your choices on wether you play vinyl, cd's or software and a controller?

I mean it's so hard since we ALWAYS get different tips from different people, I met Mr Golden in S.F and asked him for some advice on this. He told me that it doesn't matter what you play with. He was on the TS4 on that night, but I mean he's already an established artist, and could pretty much play a playstation controller hooked to i-tunes and get respect for this, since he's already grown into a name in this business, but for the rest of us who want to really get a working business going in Dj'ing.

I really would love it if the DJ'ing business wasn't so friggin' devided in this way, since I feel that OK controllerists "steal" the business from the old timers, BUT is analog CD's on the way out and more and more USB decks and controllers will take over?

Would be nice to get any kind of thoughts or experiences on this, if you've been a controllerist who switched to CD's or the other way around, or whatnot. Just nything that might help me with this, since I wanna get better gear NOW NOW NOW! And don't want to waste any more time on this.

Thankful for any kind of opinions in this matter, anything!

THANKS!

-Rob

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by RobDeLarge View Post
    Right I am serious, I have NEVER in my whole life been more 50/50 about something like I am right now.
    There's always some part of you that KNOWS what you deep down think is right or the best thing for you.
    I hope this is not something millions of people have opened threads about before me, but I just need opinions from you guys and hopefulle more guys and girls out there have the same problem, I want advice from the grumpy old Vinyl DJ's, the CDj's and of course all the controllerists out there.

To get to the point, I want to take DJ'ing to the next level and really get something that I can play with in the clubs, and really being able to progress with my gear without being turned down by promotors and such, I mean I am willing to pay the price for the gear I need, but what and WHY?

I have been on som many forums (seriously spending too much time on forums in this matter) and all the different opinions on this is driving me crazy! To play with CD's or mp3's (of course bought mp3's)
    controllers such as the TS4 or CDj's and a mixer.

I have learned how to DJ on a controller and in traktor, and I'm good at it. But I mean, Am I stupid to throw away 1000 bucks on a ts4 or should I get cd decks and learn on these to always be able to play the clubs own mixers and decks, or just go for something like the TS4 and now my software and controller, and be able to always bring this to a club?

I am REALLY not trying to take an easy or simple approach into DJ'ing because I dedicate my life and all my time on music, but I mean will CD's seriously "devolve" more and more?

I just need any kind of hints on how you guys base your choices on wether you play vinyl, cd's or software and a controller?

I mean it's so hard since we ALWAYS get different tips from different people, I met Mr Golden in S.F and asked him for some advice on this. He told me that it doesn't matter what you play with. He was on the TS4 on that night, but I mean he's already an established artist, and could pretty much play a playstation controller hooked to i-tunes and get respect for this, since he's already grown into a name in this business, but for the rest of us who want to really get a working business going in Dj'ing.

I really would love it if the DJ'ing business wasn't so friggin' devided in this way, since I feel that OK controllerists "steal" the business from the old timers, BUT is analog CD's on the way out and more and more USB decks and controllers will take over?

Would be nice to get any kind of thoughts or experiences on this, if you've been a controllerist who switched to CD's or the other way around, or whatnot. Just nything that might help me with this, since I wanna get better gear NOW NOW NOW! And don't want to waste any more time on this.

Thankful for any kind of opinions in this matter, anything!

THANKS!

-Rob
    Intresting post. HOnestly bro, if this was 2001 we would talking about how CDJs is not real djing. I remember when i got my first cdj and all the crap i took for it. but honestly to me it was the most obvious evolution. the same goes for mp3/controllers in 5 years this wont be an issue.

is it worth learning on cdjs or vinyl? I gusse but not really. and the oonly reason i say that is becuase lets look where we are at in 2011. Technic no longer makes 1200s so vinyl is dead. Im sure im gonna get flake for that but i dont care, becuase no staton,vestex, or numark TT will ever replace or be as reliable as the 1200.

i think the same will happen with CDJs. only they wont be around for 30 years the way TTs where due to way technology is evolving.

Further more, who even buys CDS anymore? i dont know anyone thats buys cds, everything is either from itunes or amazon or whatever.

Hater are gonna hate dood. screw em, do what u do best and rock the crowed.

however, if u really want to get gigs and get this thing going. Probably u should spend more time on producing. tghe days of super star djs that make tons of money playing other music is over. u might be able to make a ok living spinning at local clubs but ur never gonna get further then that. producing ur own tracks is the only real way to make it in this industry now. I for one am VERY VERY happy about this change.

Hope this helps.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Thank you VERY much for that quick reply, and I really do agree on the producing part since I will be attending the SAE in L.A soon (sound and electronics) at Sunset, I am really psyched about this, and I really am working on my producing skills, in ableton and reason, BUT I wanna DJ too, but of course the producing is what I know will help me get gigs and so on.

I am busting my ass off in tutorials manuals and so on, and really take it seriously, I just don't want to spend all my time on the wrong places at first, due to my dedication my question is very important to me, and I sincerely thank you for that answer, hopefully others will leave their thoughts on this too!

Thanks broe!

Ps, what gear are you on? Ds

Posts like this bother me. Artists/painters don't have this problem. If one chooses to use acrylics, and another chooses to use oils, there's no big deal made of it.

So why would it be different for musicians/DJ's?

Learn to DJ with whatever you want to use. If you want to throw in live percussion, you'll use a percussion instrument (pads). Multi FX? You'll use something with knobs. Worrying about what is going to be available in a club years down the line ain't doing you any favours - and to be honest, very few people that start DJ'ing will ever play in a club anyway.

You have to make DJ'ing part of your life. You have to be able to do it when you don't want to, when you're surrounded by crap, and (most importantly) do it when you are drunk.

Just get stuck in. A HUGE percentage of the skills you'll need to be a good DJ DON'T revolve around the equipment you're using. You can't buy musical taste, programming skills and an ear for good music. The skills you'll learn on your first bit of budget gear are fully transferable to the top end audio gear that you'll want in years to come.

Practice is everything. You have to look at it like this - all the practice you put into DJ'ing is the WORK, and the time you spend performing is when you get to PLAY.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    if this was 2001 we would talking about how CDJs is not real djing.
    this

More and more pros are coming into digital DJing and it won't be long before it becomes the norm. I had a run with the typical decks and mixer setup before coming into the realm of digital DJing, and simply put I made switch because I'm capable of doing a lot more with a lot less. Anytime I use a traditional setup now it just feels like a huge step back. Having things software based yields infinite possibilities for your gear.

producing ur own tracks is the only real way to make it in this industry now..
    and this.

Everything is so accessible and the DJing community is so large now that there are tons of people pretty much sounding exactly the same, and you have to offer something better than just playing other people's tracks. Whether that's crazy DMC stuff, production, or whatever else you can muster up, you have to give people a reason to book you over all the other options. Beatmatching is not going to get you hired.

Thanks for your take on this, these are the kind of responses I need, and of course have seen loads of before, still struggling on what to do though, I might just have to do what I am leaning towards and that is to get both CDj's to practice on a just have a controller like TS4 to play where they accept this, since I feel this is so much easier.

Thanks again for the time you took to reply.
    -Rob

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Posts like this bother me. Artists/painters don't have this problem. If one chooses to use acrylics, and another chooses to use oils, there's no big deal made of it.
    Its not the posts that should bug u. its the attitude of other DJs and the community at large that should bug u. The painter analogy is great and makes good sense however i think ur hardline vinyl dj will argue with u until his face is red. LOL
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by RobDeLarge View Post

Ps, what gear are you on? Ds
    Im using an acer laptop w ablton live and audio 2 dj sound card. No controler, not sure if im gonna get one yet. still looking round and comparing. the only one iv seen that fits my style is the abelton live controller APC40. however it doesn't have knobs for EQing each channel so im still a little put off by it. I use 6 to 8 channels when playing live so i need EQ on all channels. on the APC40 i could map 2 knobs to every channel but i still want 3 knobs per channel so im not sure yet. I still like the idea of just using my laptop the way girl talk and others do.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    this

I had a run with the typical decks and mixer setup before coming into the realm of digital DJing, and simply put I made switch because I'm capable of doing a lot more with a lot less. .
    Right but kind of a trick question to you then IF I don't master the CD's and get more gigs than you on controllers, would that be a problem or a case of complaining that I am not familiar with CD spinning, I mean I know I would never get into vinyl since that kinda feels like a stupid way of starting out right now, but since clubs keep having their mixers and pioneers I will always be kind of a "newbie" no matter how good I am with controllers and such.

I mean maybe it's easier for you to say controllers is the thing now since you already know the CDj's by heart and such.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    Im using an acer laptop w ablton live and audio 2 dj sound card. No controler, not sure if im gonna get one yet. still looking round and comparing. the only one iv seen that fits my style is the abelton live controller APC40. however it doesn't have knobs for EQing each channel so im still a little put off by it. I use 6 to 8 channels when playing live so i need EQ on all channels. on the APC40 i could map 2 knobs to every channel but i still want 3 knobs per channel so im not sure yet. I still like the idea of just using my laptop the way girl talk and others do.
    You still get gigs with this set up? I mean only a laptop? And it's not meant to be derogatory only find it strange. But if you do, It's a good sign that things might be changing up a bit. As long as you know your shit I mean..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast