paypal advice

Thread: paypal advice

Tech Mentor

Default paypal advice

im wanting to buy something off of someone using paypal.basically i pay the person and they transfer their serial for some software.my question is how can i guarantee that when said person recieves the payment they will do the transfer of the serial or do i have to trust in the goodwill of man!.

it seems above board and they have sold a traktor serial to someone on this site who seems happy but the sellers post count is at 7 so i feel i need a bit of reasurance.

hope someone can reply soon as i want to make the purchase.

thnx

Tech Convert

Personally, I would avoid the transaction you are describing.

You have no guarantee that the other individual will actually send you the serial code, or even if it is valid and will work.

In addition to this, I am pretty sure that Paypal does not cover/insure the purchase of intangible goods (software, serial codes etc.).

This means that if he were to screw you over, there would be no way at all for you to get your money back.

Unless you are 100% positive this guy is legit and you have no doubt he is honest with what he is offering/saying, I would avoid this transaction.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

I had a similar situation once with PayPal.
    I sold username/password for my MMORPG-account.

The transaction went fine, but PayPal screwed me big times.

After the transaction was done, I got an email that they found the transaction to be suspicious and accused me of money laundering (!!!).

They freezed my account, but luckily I already put the money on my bank account. Otherwise they'd have kept it (850€).

What they wanted me to do is send them a delivery note. I explained, they didn't care. I've sent them mail / talked to them on the phone every month for about two years. The I stopped caring and opened a new account.

On Friday I got a letter from their lawyers with new trouble (not related to the first shit they pulled off).

I could tell more stories.

So here is my advice: If its worth more than you're happily willing to loose

AVOID PAYPAL AT ALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
    Last edited by Afterhour Ali; 01-10-2011 at 05:59 AM.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

If you go through with this transaction, make sure you pay with a credit card. You can add a CC in paypal and select it when paying. If you end up getting screwed, your credit card company should be able to get your money back.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Tech Mentor

thanx for the quick replys
    does this still work if its from a private seller though?.its through the buy and sell on this site and not ebay.surely a cc company wouldn't just accept that i didn't know this person and believe that im telling the truth.and are we talking days,months,years till im reimbursed as january would be a long and lonely month with no money and no software to keep me busy.

the bloke has given me his mobile number and seems legit(im feeling slightly guilty about my distrust). but he lives in the u.s and i live in the u.k.

am i worrying too much?
    Last edited by calvin01; 01-10-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin01 View Post
    does this still work if its from a private seller though?.its through the buy and sell on this site and not ebay.surely a cc company wouldn't just accept that i didn't know this person and believe that im telling the truth.and are we talking days,months,years till im reimbursed as january would be a long and lonely month with no money and no software to keep me busy.

the bloke has given me his mobile number and seems legit(im feeling slightly guilty about my distrust). but he lives in the u.s and i live in the u.k.

am i worrying too much?

I am 99% sure it will work. When you get to the checkout page in paypal, you can change the source from where money is withdrawn. Change it to your credit card. Here is an example I just made :

PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    I had a similar situation once with PayPal.
    I sold username/password for my MMORPG-account.

The transaction went fine, but PayPal screwed me big times.

After the transaction was done, I got an email that they found the transaction to be suspicious and accused me of money laundering (!!!).

They freezed my account, but luckily I already put the money on my bank account. Otherwise they'd have kept it (850€).

What they wanted me to do is send them a delivery note. I explained, they didn't care. I've sent them mail / talked to them on the phone every month for about two years. The I stopped caring and opened a new account.

On Friday I got a letter from their lawyers with new trouble (not related to the first shit they pulled off).

I could tell more stories.

So here is my advice: If its worth more than you're happily willing to loose

AVOID PAYPAL AT ALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
    I had massive sh*ts with paypal over a phone sold on ebay and the buyer making a fraudelent claim, they froze my account, took my cash and I had to go to the financial ombudsman before they saw the light. F*cking arseh*les man, I swear.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin01 View Post

am i worrying too much?
    Any purchases made on a credit card are insured for 56 days, it's the law.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

PAYPAL WILL NOT / IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY SOLD / PURCHASED.

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT sell / buy intellectual (serial #s, CD keys, game accounts, and what not) properties over Paypal. You will most likely end up fking youreslf. For physical items they will still help you out and you will most likely get your money back, but for intellectual - you're gonna get owned.

I've had a lot of problems with them in the past, and I really don't want to get into stories, but shits bad. I would / will ever do anything like that, ever again.

I use paypal and i have an eftpos debit to keep my money safe Pro-tip when you sell something transfer your money to your bank account asap, don't keep hundreds of dollars in your paypal at a time, for large transactions use visa, they are more dependable, ive heard so many stories of people getting there accounts frozen and its ridiculous my mates got 700 dollars frozen and he's been trying for months, just be cautious and dont be stupid