In-ear for monitoring and non-monitoring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In-ear for monitoring and non-monitoring

I'm looking at the Westone M2. They're actually competitively priced here, which is odd since Japanese people's favorite hobby is paying way too fucking much for anything. I searched here for "Westone" and other than only relevant topic was from quite some time back. So, here we go. (Feel free to chime in w/ other products).

I read the handful of articles in the main page about in-ear monitoring. I don't gig out too often, and when I do, the monitor is generally far enough back and not *that* loud, although it isn't quiet either. At home, I have a child that sleeps in the next room and a wife that has inhuman hearing. Long story short, when I DJ at home, I use the cans only. I don't even have good speakers. And, I'm now quite used to it. I generally listen to the main mix + queue whatever track is coming up. Sometimes adjust the "mix" dial so the queued track sticks out more. So, I'm thinking even DJing w/ these would work for me. The thing I don't like is that I'm at the mercy of the mixer. Don't the DJM-800 & A&H Xone series treat the monitor "mixing" differently? I have an A&H at home. Nothing but Pioneer whores around here, so it's the 800 when I play out.

That's the DJ side. If I don't dig it for DJing, are they worth the dough for having for long trips and whatnot. I obviously won't jog in them. I have no idea how I lost something so big, but my Bose noise canceling headphones are no longer with me. Maybe in my office in the US (but they were dying anyway). I'm thinking these might be a nice, compact substitute (for about the same price). Thoughts?

I was also in the market for IEM's. I looked at Westones, Shures and UE's. I've read a lot of reviews about both and the conclusion is:

Westone (UM2/3) -> very close to real sound, as in close to no coloring of the sound.
    Shure (SE530/535) -> thicker bass, but a little less detailed highs
    UE TripleFi 10 pro -> a very good allrounder and very competitive priced

I went with the UE TripleFi 10 pro, because it's a triple driver system at the price of a Westone UM2 (dual driver) and has replaceable cables.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think I'll end up with the Shure dual drivers at some point, curious to know what people's opinions are for general use.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Cheers for that DennisHuiberts. You got any links to the reviews? How do you feel about your purchase? I don't know enough about the difference in the two drivers, other than 3 is richer to make a totally honest decision, I guess.

Replacement cables are nice. My Bose cable was starting to get flakey, which was a bit worrisome as it didn't seem I could *easily* swap it out. Something to think about. Not sure if I'd go for better sound or thicker base. The thing is, I've seen a pair of the Westone UM2's for under $200 locally, which is really cheap.

It's not the same review, but a very detailed one:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...pdate-nov-2-08

If you want to use your IEM's on stage, only three IEM's are really worth it (if custom made ones are out of your league), namely the three I mentioned above.
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 01-12-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by DennisHuiberts View Post
    It's not the same review, but a very detailed one:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...pdate-nov-2-08

If you want to use your IEM's on stage, only three IEM's are really worth it (if custom made ones are out of your league), namely the three I mentioned above.
    Thanks! I will read that. I'm looking at the Westone M2 right now. Birthday coming up, so I might as well treat myself, right?

Monster Turbine Copper - a little heavy, but great soundstage, solid in the low end. Sonically similar to Dre Tours without paying the royalty. Latter has great cabelling.

Those Monsters have dynamic drivers. For (semi-)professional use you would want armature drivers. Believe me, those Monsters wil be great for your iPod or something like that, but armature type IEM's are much more accurate...
    Check out my work!

Those Monsters have dynamic drivers. For (semi-)professional use you would want armature drivers. Believe me, those Monsters wil be great for your iPod or something like that, but armature type IEM's are much more accurate...
    :eek: noob alert :eek:
    Thanks Dennis - please elaborate. I am a big fan of IEM's (currently have Sony MDR700's, Dj with tma-1's, and listen with Bose QC15's. Bought M-Audio IEM's which I LOATHE). I am looking for an alternative, but options in South Africa are slim, which means a little foreign excursion. I don't want another dud.
    Thank you.

PS - did the 'noob thang' and read the review, but still undecided.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast