Drum and Bass, digital DJing and APC40

Default Drum and Bass, digital DJing and APC40

So,

When I was DJing with Traktor I found that despite mine and traktors best efforts the beat grids were never perfect. You could never just hit play and the 2 would be perfect, you always had to nudge and keep all ears on the cueing. However the reason I got into digital DJing was so I could stop with all this beat matching and start being more creative. I wanted to use effects and 4 decks and spend more time jumping around the DJing booth. I did buy a kontrol s4 but it didnt work out for me.

So... I am looking at the APC40 and live.

I suppose my main question is this - I have heard that abletons great for gettin your tracks time warped well. Am I going to find again that Drum and Bass just wont sync, or will ableton let me get all my tracks synced up from start to finish without a nudge!

Also do people map the apc for EQ to? its odd not having the conventional 3 knobs in a verticle line!

Thanks!

Yes, you can warp DnB tracks in Ableton just as well as any other genre. No, it will not be perfectly warped automatically (the vast majority of the time warping just requires marking the first beat and setting the proper bpm).

EQing with the APC is a matter of preference (and of what other gear you have, I suppose). I do EQing on the APC and it doesn't really take long to get used to, especially as you can map it in whatever way is most comfortable for you.

if you set it up right, the beatmatching in traktor is perfect. i couldn't think of an easier way.
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

ive never got any problems playing dnb and it getting out of time. dnb isnt done physically on drums, so it wont ever change in bpm fo no reason.

i think the sound of different snares makes it sound like its off beat, but its not.

*shrug*
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Mentor

imo
    dont waste any money on something that already does everything you need.
    no software is going to be able to do a perfect beatgrid
    it only takes about 10 seconds to set one up
    if the grid is total fucked just delete the grid mark and add one on the beat.
    i don't play dnb, but i do play dubstep which is pretty much dnb dropped about 100bpm
    listen to the snares, set your grid up on the snare, it works for me.

-----
    i think i read the post wrong.
    i thought you meant beat grids, not beatmatching.
    Last edited by ChrisEPIC; 01-11-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: may have read post wrong

Tech Mentor

i think i'm just a little to tired.
    lulz

Tech Guru

Dnb just clashes a lot generally, i rarely run rhythm sections over eachother unless i'm spinning some simlar sounding liquid, the harsh snares and hats just clash so badly.

I just phrase and cut a lot for dnb, rarely beatmatch unless i'm layering intros/breaks.

Beat matching is not a problem, I was DJing on vinyl for 3 years before I moved to traktor. I just found, that even if I had the first grid right on the first beat, with the correct BPM set, two tunes would rarely be in perfect sync.

Yeh, I know what you mean about the clashes. I think maybe because when I played vinyl I was playing much more minimal DnB (guys like spectrasoul),that I got used to being able to do much longer mixes. Guess with the more full dance floor tracks there is alot going on in the tunes making them not as easy for playing two at once!