Serato vs Traktor for the existing DJ - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    Anyway, here it is. Let me know what you guys think.
    I think that the article is 25% done. It talks about TSP and SSL, but leaves out the beginning, the philosophies, the target market, the deepdive into controllers, the future vision (DAW+DJ app), the ultimate vision (video), and the big disruptor (iPad).

I can see why you chose to scratch the surface. Hopefully, someone will plow this field one day... (OK, enough with the puns.)

-KLH

I played a vinyl set the other night and I just found I had proper flow picking tunes out from flicking through records.

I played 5 hours on NYE on traktor and found myself just often struggling to pick the right tune out. I'm bad with names but good with pictures.

I try and organise my collection but it's hard

I have around 2,000 vinyl records and i know how each one goes just from looking at the sleeve...

I stare at my itunes library sometimes and just can't find inspiration from text / titles of songs.

Somehow the album cover art in itunes just doesn't cut it either.

Interesting take - DIG sitting with my CD covers to look/read whilst listening, but never bothered with artwork in iTtunes or TP, but I get a sense of why I SHOULD. Title and artist browsing is 'clinical'

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

It's also a matter of layout. More than anything really. A lot of people I know, including myself (we've discussed this in-depth), dislike the GUI of Traktor, while respecting the power behind it's functionality. Serato did something right with what they did, and it just looks natural to me.

I think being comfortable with what you are seeing is a big part of anyone's workflow. And that's a much overlooked aspect of choosing which software to actually use.

I hate to bring it up, but it's almost like a MAC vs PC debate. Everyone has an opinion, and no one thing will change anyone's mind. You can still respect each option, and choose to use one yourself.

It really comes down to how you want to present your music, and how the workflow just FLOWS for you. A lot of people haven't jumped on the DVS train yet just because it's a change in pace. And a lot of people are quite particular about workflow, I know I am.

In the end, the results may vary from program to program, but you still get the basic functionality.

Another aspect that I don't think is mentioned often enough, is people having TOO MUCH music on their computers. Even if you have a supreme knowledge of your tunes, it's much different carrying EVERYTHING vs having a steaming hot but smaller selection of tunes. This aspect is daunting to a lot of people, and it makes actual set "planning" (or at least thought) a bit more important when you have a ton of options available, vs limiting yourself from the get-go. It's daunting basically. And this pretty much goes with any DVS.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

sasha got a maven custom built for gigs a few years back....
    he even carried his imac around!!!

then he busted it and used a zero8 for a while, dunno now but doesn't sound like a cdj lover to me.
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-13-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Tech Wizard

I like the article but I wanted to mention that the video you have of the dj using Traktor he is using 4 decks he is controling 2 decks with the 1200's with timecode and he is controlling the other 2 decks with a x1 controler not just cue points and loops 2 other decks with that small controler. Thats the difference to me with Traktor the setup options seem unlimited but it takes time to learn the program. Serato seems to do its job very well thats a good thing but Traktor is fully loaded tweek it freak it blow it up and bang it out but if you change something you better understand the full effect of any options you change. Sounds like your friend can afford to try them both out so why choose one?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    Sounds like your friend can afford to try them both out so why choose one?
    if you look at the end of the guide, thats exactly what i suggested.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    Funny, when I first saw this video I thought yeah no doubt.

Lately I have realized more than ever how much Traktor tracks backwards at the slightest tap on the turntable. And to top it off, no post fader effects. So speaking of sonics without post fader effects, sonically Traktor looses in my book.

I think Serato has come a long way since this video was produced.

Dont get me wrong, I love Traktor, but the major points of this video are irrelevant nowadays.

Tech Guru

also that video has nothing to do with the topic. which is about the decision a dj that has an already established trade has to make when considering changing all of their tools and giving them the information on the workflow and layout they'll be dealing with on a day to day basis going forward.

our skills as dj's are only as good as our knowledge and understanding of the tools in front of us. we can know everything there is to know about phrasing, music selection, reading a crowd, tricks, and many other things. but if we can't work our tools easilly, none of that makes any difference in front of a dancefloor full of people.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    our skills as dj's are only as good as our knowledge and understanding of the tools in front of us. we can know everything there is to know about phrasing, music selection, reading a crowd, tricks, and many other things. but if we can't work our tools easilly, none of that makes any difference in front of a dancefloor full of people.
    This is an interesting perspective, and possibly I am understanding it in a different context.

I come from a background of playing in bands, producing music, and trying really experimental stuff with music gear, routings, and FX. I got into DJing as a lover of music, AND because software had finally reached a place where a lover of music could learn to DJ conveniently without having to spend a lot of time, money and resources on digging for vinyl. HOWEVER my love for digital gear has taken a turn towards a stronger desire for analogue techniques. What I mean is, software and controllers are easy to learn, and FX are easy to use, features like "sync" are fun and based on the connivence and possibility of having more fun with FX. Twisting knobs and pushing buttons is great fun to me, but it is not where the "skill" is really shown/noticed. For example, there is no knob that lets a DJ read a crowd, choose phrasing, and drop a cut to keep the floor moving.

I am by no means a professional DJ or big local name guy. People are not going to come to my gigs and expect something from me "specifically." I may think the next tune I drop will work the crowd only to find out, I am killing the energy. Knowing how to recover and recover fast is something that take practice. In my opinion it takes way more practice, dedication and a willingness to recognize my own failures, than learning "tools" of software, FX, tricks, etc. People are not at my gig's because I am there, I am there because they are, and there is no button that learns respect for that.

Seems to me the real abilities come out in one who has experience with the basics, the fundamentals. More and more, software packages and controllers seem more like icing on the cake than actual tools. Maybe they are tools but they are not the skills, and the skills still seem to be the basics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12