Serato vs Traktor for the existing DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Serato vs Traktor for the existing DJ

Well, I wasn't going to post this as I really just wrote it for my friend DJ Anna Kiss. But since she backlinked it on her blog and facebook. May as well share it.

She's a long time DJ and producer on di.fm and long time london scene dj that pretty much plays all over europe and shes finally looking to move to a laptop setup after being on cdj's for years.

All the guides I found out there pretty much only spoke about features or tried to speak to a really board audience. So I decided to write her up something that specifically targetted the club dj thats been playing on cdj's and turntables for years.

It's not perfect, not sure if writing is really my deal. But she said it helped her so I dunno, I guess it did the job it was supposed to.

Anyway, here it is. Let me know what you guys think.

http://xtiandj.wordpress.com/2011/01...e-existing-dj/
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Not a bad read, although one thing that I'd point out is that it is very easy to sync half/double speed tunes in Traktor, simply by using the x2 and /2 tempo buttons.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Good read. I agree lethal_pizzle on the double tempo thing. It's kind of rare that you find an article that respectively compares Traktor to Serato. Hats off to you for that.

My main gripe with your article is the reference to your friend being a true blue REAL DJ just because she uses turntables and CDJ's. I'm sure your friend is a great DJ, but don't discredit laptop DJ's who use laptops and a controller. Are you trying to say that she's better or more of a DJ than say Ean is? Or Ritchie Hawtin? There is no such thing as "real" DJ's. Either you are or you aren't and it doesn't matter what type of media you choose to play your songs.

Isn't DJ'ing supposed to be about how you play the music for the crowd and not about your method of beatmatching?

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that DJ's like Sasha and Digweed are still playing CD's, but none of us know for sure what those reasons are. For all you know, they could be held by the mafia/KGB/yakuza to be playing CD's. They could also just not have the time or interest in making a laptop set. Maybe they think burned CD's sound better than .mp3's. WHO KNOWS?!

Personally, I would rather watch Ean mash a million buttons for an hour than watch Digweed play 10 songs in 2 hours.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by No Left Turn View Post
    Good read. I agree lethal_pizzle on the double tempo thing. It's kind of rare that you find an article that respectively compares Traktor to Serato. Hats off to you for that.

My main gripe with your article is the reference to your friend being a true blue REAL DJ just because she uses turntables and CDJ's. I'm sure your friend is a great DJ, but don't discredit laptop DJ's who use laptops and a controller. Are you trying to say that she's better or more of a DJ than say Ean is? Or Ritchie Hawtin? There is no such thing as "real" DJ's. Either you are or you aren't and it doesn't matter what type of media you choose to play your songs.

Isn't DJ'ing supposed to be about how you play the music for the crowd and not about your method of beatmatching?
    I meant that in the fact thats shes been playing the club scene in europe for over a decade and has her own radio show. The comment was meant to distinguish the professional club and festival circuit dj from the bedroom or mobile dj.

btw, in case anyone was wondering, here's her site.

http://djannakiss.com/
    Last edited by xtianw; 01-12-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by no left turn View Post
    good read. I agree lethal_pizzle on the double tempo thing. It's kind of rare that you find an article that respectively compares traktor to serato. Hats off to you for that.

My main gripe with your article is the reference to your friend being a true blue real dj just because she uses turntables and cdj's. I'm sure your friend is a great dj, but don't discredit laptop dj's who use laptops and a controller. Are you trying to say that she's better or more of a dj than say ean is? Or ritchie hawtin? There is no such thing as "real" dj's. Either you are or you aren't and it doesn't matter what type of media you choose to play your songs.

Isn't dj'ing supposed to be about how you play the music for the crowd and not about your method of beatmatching?

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that dj's like sasha and digweed are still playing cd's, but none of us know for sure what those reasons are. For all you know, they could be held by the mafia/kgb/yakuza to be playing cd's. They could also just not have the time or interest in making a laptop set. Maybe they think burned cd's sound better than .mp3's. Who knows?!

Personally, i would rather watch ean mash a million buttons for an hour than watch digweed play 10 songs in 2 hours.
    freakin amen!
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

I thought it was a decent article... though inconclusive

The truth is, for me, the main thing she will probably miss is searching for the next tune.

I played a vinyl set the other night and I just found I had proper flow picking tunes out from flicking through records.

I played 5 hours on NYE on traktor and found myself just often struggling to pick the right tune out. I'm bad with names but good with pictures.

I try and organise my collection but it's hard

I have around 2,000 vinyl records and i know how each one goes just from looking at the sleeve...

I stare at my itunes library sometimes and just can't find inspiration from text / titles of songs.

Somehow the album cover art in itunes just doesn't cut it either.

I dunno about CDs, never really used em much, is different i suppose but i still think you get to know your cds from how you've written on them etc.

That's worth noting imo for pros
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Personally, I would rather watch Ean mash a million buttons for an hour than watch Digweed play 10 songs in 2 hours.
    LOL Amen to that ahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    LOL Amen to that ahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
    John's a really nice guy and a great dj who really knows how to move a crowd and is an amazing producer as well.

Funny, when I working at Metropolis in Irvine, CA we were the first team to bring Sasha and John to the Western United States. We had a Yuri rotary mixer in our booth. Sasha had absolutely no idea how to use it. I got to watch during setup while John gave Sasha a clinic.

Really humble guy though.

Funny…I've really enjoyed Digweed's sets, and I'd walk out on Ean. I hate his sets. Different stokes.

If he's posting anything on this website, he's not who you need to attack in terms of legitimizing your own existence. Your insecurity is neither confidence inspiring nor attractive. Grow some balls and come back.

@OP, Sasha isn't a great example for your first paragraph. He was one of the first spinning with Ableton and went back to CDJs after his controller broke. I think he's using a hybrid now. Also, he jumped straight from getting Dub plates cut to Live, so again I say he's a bad example.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Funny…I've really enjoyed Digweed's sets, and I'd walk out on Ean. I hate his sets. Different stokes.
    im with him. you cant compare them both. Plus when I goto clubs I go to dance to familiar songs not get educated.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast