HELP! - Setting up VCI 100se in the club?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP! - Setting up VCI 100se in the club?!

Hey there guys, first time posting in the forums but a long time lurker!

Recently got a VCI 100se and so far it has been going great, I love it - as do many other obviously!

Ok so I have my first gig for the year coming up next Wednesday, this will be my first club gig with the controller. What I need to know is how to set it up in the club so as I don't look like a fool and I don't stuff up the clubs gear!

Here is what I have:
    Macbook running Traktor Pro
    VCI 100se
    Audio 2 DJ

I know that I have to run the two channels from the Audio 2 DJ into the club's mixer, but I don't know which channels.

Once this is done can I cue in my headphones from the club's mixer? Also what happens with the volume faders? Do I need to put the volume fader all the way up on the mixer then use my VCI as normal or do I have to volume and cross fade on both?

One more question, if I only have the two channels that are available on the Audio 2 DJ does that mean that I will only be able to have control over two decks in Traktor? Or would I still be able to make use of all four decks?

I really hope someone can help me with this!!

Thanks in advance!

You will need:

Good quality phono leads, take 2 just in case
    possibly a laptop stand if the booth is crowded with TT's
    possibly a big foam pad to put ontop of a TT if you have no more room. DO NOT put it directly ontop of the TT without protection.

You need to run the master out from your audio 2 into the LINE input on any channel on the mixer. NOT phono. Make sure you get this right.
    You then proceed to switch that channel on the mixer to line and max out the line fader. Use your headphones on the audio 2 as you do now. You will mix as you do normally, you're just routing sound through one channel on the mixer.
    Make sure that channel's EQ's are flat and also make sure in soundcheck that you dont max out that line input on the mixer. No red LED's. After that, use the master volume control on the mixer to adjust the volume as necessary.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    You need to run the master out from your audio 2 into the LINE input on any channel on the mixer. NOT phono. Make sure you get this right.
    You then proceed to switch that channel on the mixer to line and max out the line fader. Use your headphones on the audio 2 as you do now. You will mix as you do normally, you're just routing sound through one channel on the mixer.
    Make sure that channel's EQ's are flat and also make sure in soundcheck that you dont max out that line input on the mixer. No red LED's. After that, use the master volume control on the mixer to adjust the volume as necessary.
    Man thank you so much! This helps a lot. I just want to clarify one more thing.
    How intrusive will this be to other DJs that have sets before or after me?

I mean how would I go about swapping over with other DJ's who are using the clubs CDJs and mixer?

Tech Mentor

shouldnt be a huge problem as you only need to plug into the mixer quickly the rest can be set up on the side and them moved to the center when he's done with his set

So just say the mixer only has two channels? If the DJ before me plays his last song on deck A does that mean I need to plug into the Deck B channel and start mixing in from his?

I'm still a little confused how the swap over works! I'm starting to get the picture.
    VCI 100se l Audio 2 DJ l Traktor Pro l 13" Macbook l

If the DJ before you is using TT's he'll be plugged into the phono ports for channel 1 and 2. You can plug into the line ports for channel one. So you can run concurrently with the other DJ. All you need to do is flick a switch on the mixer faceplate for that channel that changes the input routing for that channel to line instead of phono. Take a look at any mixer, this should make it more clear.
    If the guy is using CDJ's he'll be using the line inputs already. Just unplug the CDJ he's not using at the end of his set and pop your RCA's in and youre good to go.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Thanks, hopefully I don't unplug the wrong CDJ and mess everything up! ta for the info!
    VCI 100se l Audio 2 DJ l Traktor Pro l 13" Macbook l

Try and get to the club early and check their system out, check with their people about who's playing before you and what kit they use. If it's computer then fine, just plug in into the free channel otherwise, try and have a chat with the other dj when he/she's setting up.
    Good Luck

Another suggestion for checking out your levels if you can't soundcheck before it opens. Play a track at "full" volume in traktor while the gear is hooked up to the mixer, but ensure the mixers fader for your channel is at 0. Hopefully the mixer will have a VU meter for each channel. Ensure it's not red. Adjust your gain accordingly.

Tech Guru

One other thing that may not be so important. If your output sound routing in traktor is set as stereo (which it usually is) you may find that songs are sounding different or missing something because a lot of clubs are set up for mono. Easy fix as your playing. Won't affect your wiring set up or result in any sound drop outs if you decide to go from stereo to mono mid set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast