beat matching do you or dont you
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default beat matching do you or dont you

beat matching do u or don't you

do u press the sync button. do u think u need to understand beat match now days or is it a skill that will die out
    Last edited by bazzfc; 01-13-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Tech Guru

i do, have done since 1998...but i will admit when i first got traktor i did play out a few times at commercial venues using sync, but then got bored...

...however the T Squared venture im half of, we use sync for obvious reasons...when juggling 4-8 channels of audio its essential
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

??

Well...you DEFINATELY need to know and understand beatmatching and phrasing in order to DJ effectively.

Without this fundamental skill....you will not feel very proud of your skill set.

I have been beatmatching for more than 10 years and know I can do it in my sleep.

I have proved I can be tight as fuck....over and over.

No need to prove it to anyone anymore I feel.

I don't press the sync all the time. I use Sync Lock. So this leaves me time to do other MUCH more interesting things than Beatmatching. Makes DJing MUCH more fun for me....

However, sometimes I don't beatgrid my tracks well enough and they will be out.
    Then its just a matter of Pitch Bend to correct it.

I do feel that it is something you need to know in order to be a good DJ.
    Sure, you could be able to kill it in a session without ever having beatmatched before...due to Traktor helping you there. But I am sure if you are skipping that aspect and skill....you will skip others too. Just mixing like you would with Vinyl or CD's and a mixer...on Traktor when using Sync is just NAFF. Its a cop out.

You doing nothing more with the time saved by Syncing. That to me is a FAIL!

Sync is there to save you time....in order to give you time to do cooler things.
    Not stand and Pose!

The actual skill in beatmatching is not getting the tracks to be the same tempo....any monkey can restart a track while adjusting the pitch. In time....you will find it. Practice and it comes faster!

The actual skill you learn is being able to hear WHICH track is losing or gaining time and fix it without the punters noticing. The skill is knowing whether to speed up or slow down. If you having to check both sides.....then you don't really have it yet.

You have it when you can hear the instant it is off beat and know whether to nudge forward or backwards.

IMHO.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

weekly sync appreciation, nice.

i tend to walk to work. i like to prove i can put one foot in front of the other. using a car to save time to get to work while talking on the phone is just

NAFF

as you put it?

what does that mean, anyway. not a yank term, im afraid.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

I think people that say you don't need to learn how to beatmatch now a days is being quite arrogant. Its a skill that i think everybody should get the basics and be able to beatmatch for at least 30 seconds..

I have proved many many times to many fellow DJ's i play alongside i can be rock solid at beatmatching. I still have no interest in using Sync but don't have a problem with people who do. I just think people should know how to do it.

learning how to mix two records, tracks, or whatever, is a fundamental skill all djs should know. but, with all the technology available now, you gotta keep growing.

i learned how to dj with records and how to ride a pitch on funk 45s (7") and old disco tracks. i even taught myself how to scratch. but, now i'm learning how to dj all over again with this traktor s4. and with 4 audio sources and the effects and other tools i've mapped to my other midi controller, that is a lot to keep up with. and having to babysit all that manually would be too much.

Tech Mentor

no respectable club is going to book someone who can't beatmatch.
    its a very basic and imo the most important skill any dj can learn.
    many people think that because everything is digital they can just let the computer do all the work.
    well, i'll put one question out there.
    say your doing a gig, and your software crashes, or your controller breaks, or some form of not being able to use your computer
    what are you gonna do?

my answer would be use the club's set up. which is most likely 2 turntables and 2 cdj's
    well. how are you gonna mix now, since your so used to the computer doing everything?

i have been a digital dj my whole life.
    BUT. i learned all the basics and some advanced techniques to mixing using turntables.
    the best and hardest way to learn.

so in short.
    yes learn to beatmatch. it will help you out ALOT in the long run.

Even for those enslaved to the sync button you need to understand how to beatmatch, especially when the DJ on previously is using the decks or CDJs and you want to blend into what he's doing ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisEPIC View Post
    no respectable club is going to book someone who can't beatmatch.
    you must be from a different planet than i'm from.

there are plenty of clubs who book hacks that can't mix a tune to hold their salt. but, they sure can bring people in to keep the bar busy all night, all while keeping people on the dancefloor.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    you must be from a different planet than i'm from.

there are plenty of clubs who book hacks that can't mix a tune to hold their salt. but, they sure can bring people in to keep the bar busy all night, all while keeping people on the dancefloor.

where i'm from, the clubs don't just book people off the street

if you can't mix a tune, or keep good progression, then their not going to want you playing at an event with well over 300 people

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast