beat matching do you or dont you - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Beat matching is useless. But, while you're learning to do it, you learn phrase matching and track structures (hopefully). If you can learn that on your own, fine. If you don't learn that, it will always be audible in your mixes.

I also don't understand what you're supposedly saving time for. Everyone I've heard use that excuse just doesn't seem to understand anything about what they're doing (Ritchie Hawtin aside) and adds useless garbage to ruin every song they play. Or they do things in a harder way than they have to just to show off what you can do with sync.

I–on the other hand–use sync because it's there. It works fine. I can fix it when it doesn't work. And there's nothing even remotely artistic about sync. It saves trouble.

That being said, if CDJs incorporated key shifting and–now that I've grown to love it–'beats to cue' in a reasonably priced player…I'd switch without hesitating.

Tech Mentor

quick scratch drop and slam the crossfader keeps the top40 crowd going all nite.

At my new gig (400+/wed/sat) I do not beat match crap except the 130bpm stuff. It is all about knowing when to do the quick cuts and drops.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisEPIC View Post
    where i'm from, the clubs don't just book people off the street

if you can't mix a tune, or keep good progression, then their not going to want you playing at an event with well over 300 people
    that's a pretty naive statement coming from a 17 year old kid. i've been clubbing longer than you've been alive and djing long enough to know your statement is bunk.

i've even been to huge massives where were "big name" djs haven't been on their A game, wrecking every other track. that doesn't stop people from going there to see them.

hell, i've even had bad nights where i can't even mix for shit, but somehow i've got a full dancefloor. be it the alcohol flying around or the girls in heat.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TABS View Post
    quick scratch drop and slam the crossfader keeps the top40 crowd going all nite.

At my new gig (400+/wed/sat) I do not beat match crap except the 130bpm stuff. It is all about knowing when to do the quick cuts and drops.

thats top40 crowd
    not edm crowd

i guess the clubs where i'm from are different then other clubs.
    but all of our clubs play edm and attract a very huge edm base

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    weekly sync appreciation, nice.

i tend to walk to work. i like to prove i can put one foot in front of the other. using a car to save time to get to work while talking on the phone is just

NAFF

as you put it?

what does that mean, anyway. not a yank term, im afraid.

HEHEHEH...NAFF.....is kinda like....sad....gay....dodge....

UNCOOL!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    that's a pretty naive statement coming from a 17 year old kid. i've been clubbing longer than you've been alive and djing long enough to know your statement is bunk.

i've even been to huge massives where were "big name" djs haven't been on their A game, wrecking every other track. that doesn't stop people from going there to see them.

hell, i've even had bad nights where i can't even mix for shit, but somehow i've got a full dancefloor. be it the alcohol flying around or the girls in heat.
    i'm just saying. its different depending on what area your from.
    as i said. the area that i'm from has a very huge edm scene.
    and by fucking up a mix, it really takes from the energy.
    the more bad transitions the more the energy slowly fades away, the less people dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    learning how to mix two records, tracks, or whatever, is a fundamental skill all djs should know. but, with all the technology available now, you gotta keep growing.

i learned how to dj with records and how to ride a pitch on funk 45s (7") and old disco tracks. i even taught myself how to scratch. but, now i'm learning how to dj all over again with this traktor s4. and with 4 audio sources and the effects and other tools i've mapped to my other midi controller, that is a lot to keep up with. and having to babysit all that manually would be too much.

Agreed!

Digital DJing is MORE than (or should be more) than just DJing.

Boosting the volume....cutting over the bass.....fade out volume.

How BORING!

Digital DJing allows you to do creative mixes using FX and loops and samples.
    You can remix on the fly.

Its MORE than DJing....period.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Epic Beatmatching FTW!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

I can beatmatch on vinyl or CDJs if i'm spinning house or anything 4/4, but when i'm spinning breaks and DnB i rarely bother with beatmatching, since overlapping rhythm sections sounds horrible most the time, i just make sure everything is phrased correctly and let the tracks do the work.

I use sync, but only for music that i could beatmatch manually, as i don't bother to beatmatch most dnb/breaks i just utilize good selection.

Yaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwn. Why are people still arguing about this non-issue?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast