beat matching do you or dont you - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisEPIC View Post
    true, digital djing offers so many possibilities. i just think that people take to much advantage of it.

learning digital doesnt give you the full experience as you would learn on vinyl or cds.

i've seen many people who haver never in their life even touched vinyl but their all digital.

my prefered setup at a club is bringing my laptop and 2 vinyls. all i need. the club has an audio 8 and a very good mixer, as well as turntables.

timecode and play
    see thats ur setup. i dont have to touch vinyl at all, but i have. dont see what the full experience is. just cuz ive never driven a original ferrari, i cant go out and buy i new one with more features and is easier to drive?
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

i'm just saying. its different depending on what area your from.
    as i said. the area that i'm from has a very huge edm scene.
    and by fucking up a mix, it really takes from the energy.
    the more bad transitions the more the energy slowly fades away, the less people dancing.
    unless the 'bad transitions' are severe double beating train wrecks, 99% of people in the crowd dont notice. it's only the dj's in the crowd that would pick up on it. so unless everyone in Duluth, Minnesota is a dj i can't see it being that big of a deal.

if i had a dollar for the each time i've been out with friends and pointed out 'bad transitions' to them and they just shrug and say they didnt notice... i'd have paid cash for a murcielago

energy is lost by dropping your next track in the wrong part of the structure, or by not reading your crowd and dropping the wrong track.

beatmatching is a required skill in any dj's asenal as you never know when you'll need to use it (gear fail/mixing into previous dj's set) - but knowing your tracks IS a must.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    see thats ur setup. i dont have to touch vinyl at all, but i have. dont see what the full experience is. just cuz ive never driven a original ferrari, i cant go out and buy i new one with more features and is easier to drive?
    actually, not my set up

only at clubs

i mix on tons of things. at home i use a keyboard

raves i do 4 deck sets and use controllers for some juggling etc

beatmatching is a required skill in any dj's asenal as you never know when you'll need to use it (gear fail/mixing into previous dj's set) - but knowing your tracks IS a must.
    if you read my previous post i've stated that several times and it has been my main reason of why you should know how to beatmatch
    Last edited by ChrisEPIC; 01-13-2011 at 12:59 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazzfc View Post
    beat matching do u or don't you
    Nope
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Nope

Just pulling your leg.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

true, digital djing offers so many possibilities. i just think that people take to much advantage of it.
    Sorry to bang on about this, but isn't that like saying sure, iPods are great, but people should really be using CD walkmans? or only loading their iPods with 1 album at a time to truly emulate the hardships of when CDs were the only way? Why not take full advantage of everything digital systems have to offer!

learning digital doesnt give you the full experience as you would learn on vinyl or cds.

i've seen many people who haver never in their life even touched vinyl but their all digital
    I honestly don't see a problem with that. I'll avoid using the iPod/walkman analogy again but really why should people have to learn vinyl? Beatmatching doesn't necessarily have to be on vinyl, and there is a reason they don't make 1200s any more - the technology is antiquated.

As I said earlier, I do like vinyl and enjoy playing it, but that's all it is: it's fun for me. I don't think new DJs should feel a duty to learn on vinyl.

EDIT just re read that and you did mention CDJs as well, yes I agree people should know at least the basics of how to use one.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Sorry to bang on about this, but isn't that like saying sure, iPods are great, but people should really be using CD walkmans? or only loading their iPods with 1 album at a time to truly emulate the hardships of when CDs were the only way? Why not take full advantage of everything digital systems have to offer!

I honestly don't see a problem with that. I'll avoid using the iPod/walkman analogy again but really why should people have to learn vinyl? Beatmatching doesn't necessarily have to be on vinyl, and there is a reason they don't make 1200s any more - the technology is antiquated.

As I said earlier, I do like vinyl and enjoy playing it, but that's all it is: it's fun for me. I don't think new DJs should feel a duty to learn on vinyl.

EDIT just re read that and you did mention CDJs as well, yes I agree people should know at least the basics of how to use one.
    totally understand what you mean.

as for taking advantage of something.
    i cant think of an analogy. but what i mean is, using to much of something that pretty much does all the work for you, then when you need to do something that doesn't do all the work for you, you'll be lost and confused.

i just feel that every club dj should have experience with some sort of vinyl or cd in case something goes wrong.

i'm just the kind of person that may come off rude, but i've dealt with some pretty huge dicks when i started out. and i want people to learn that in the music industry you cant take the easy way out all the time.
    yes i will admit sync can be useful. but you should be able to beatmatch without it.

totally understand what you mean.

as for taking advantage of something.
    i cant think of an analogy. but what i mean is, using to much of something that pretty much does all the work for you, then when you need to do something that doesn't do all the work for you, you'll be lost and confused.

i just feel that every club dj should have experience with some sort of vinyl or cd in case something goes wrong.

i'm just the kind of person that may come off rude, but i've dealt with some pretty huge dicks when i started out. and i want people to learn that in the music industry you cant take the easy way out all the time.
    yes i will admit sync can be useful. but you should be able to beatmatch without it.
    yep, all fair. full agreement reached.

hang on, I think we may just have made internet forum history...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    yep, all fair. full agreement reached.

hang on, I think we may just have made internet forum history...
    LOL
    headlines
    "forum flame war ends with agreement, FIRST EVER without a meth rant"

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That stuff is expensive. I can see in ten years clubs not having gear in the booth because the DJ's bring their own kit or have riders and the clubs have to rent the kit.

It's like when it switched from film to digital. You learned so much about exposure and composition developing and cropping your own film that it went a long way to making you a better photographer. "Real" photographers told the new kids to learn how to develop your film because it'll make you a better photographer. blah, blah, blah been there done that and it's completely irrelevant in photography now and will be in the future for DJ'ing.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast