beat matching do you or dont you - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    That stuff is expensive. I can see in ten years clubs not having gear in the booth because the DJ's bring their own kit or have riders and the clubs have to rent the kit.

It's like when it switched from film to digital. You learned so much about exposure and composition developing and cropping your own film that it went a long way to making you a better photographer. "Real" photographers told the new kids to learn how to develop your film because it'll make you a better photographer. blah, blah, blah been there done that and it's completely irrelevant in photography now and will be in the future for DJ'ing.
    no matter what happens in the future. this is the present.
    most clubs own equipment and dont rent.
    they make a lot of money from events and can afford house equipment.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisEPIC View Post
    no matter what happens in the future. this is the present.
    most clubs own equipment and dont rent.
    they make a lot of money from events and can afford house equipment.
    I guess the flaw in my logic is that just about everywhere will have a house DJ that spins when there's no booked act and that DJ will have a house kit. Will this kit be whatever this Pioneer kit evolves into with no CDJ's or turntables? I don't guess we'll ever really know until the time comes.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I guess the flaw in my logic is that just about everywhere will have a house DJ that spins when there's no booked act and that DJ will have a house kit. Will this kit be whatever this Pioneer kit evolves into with no CDJ's or turntables? I don't guess we'll ever really know until the time comes.
    I think we'll be seeing CDJs as a standard install for atleast another decade, i've seen a few smaller clubs/lounges drop their technics but the majority still have them, so if major clubs are keeping technics after this long i imagine we'll be seeing CDJs for years to come.

I think the next step will be more clubs installing audio interfaces and house computers and maybe (hopefully!) making more space available for people bringing their own kit.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    I think we'll be seeing CDJs as a standard install for atleast another decade, i've seen a few smaller clubs/lounges drop their technics but the majority still have them, so if major clubs are keeping technics after this long i imagine we'll be seeing CDJs for years to come.

I think the next step will be more clubs installing audio interfaces and house computers and maybe (hopefully!) making more space available for people bringing their own kit.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fb...3514&aid=38560

this is our house set up.
    the pics are from nye but you'll notice the table and what equipment we have there

you had borgore for NYE? sick!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    you had borgore for NYE? sick!

lol yeah dude, he got some chick to show tits too
    it was hilarious

Tech Mentor

So this is a very intresting thread.

First I dont understand any house/trance/DnB/breaks dj not beatmatching tracks, what are you doing just a scratch and a quick cut on the fader?

Hip hop djs tend to not beat match but this is because the music is ALLLLL over the place. tracks are 120 bpms, 140 bpm even as slow as 80/90 bpms. I can understand not beatmatching hip hop as for the most part it'll sound pretty shitty.

However beatmatching does not begin and end w/ vinyl and cd's. I use abelton live for djing so i can have anywhere from 2 to 8 audio channels playing at the same time, and they are all beatmatched. So im still unsure how a dj could spin house with out beatmatching. I mean if u spin house and then just do quick cuts, im sorry but i will be leaving the floor pretty fast becuase its gonna sounds shitty period. theres a handful of house djs back in the late 90's/early 00s that did super quick mixes. roger sanchez, Humpty vision, badboy bill, dj irene. But they where still beatmatching they where just doing it SUPA fast.

Can someone please explain how they spin house without Beatmatching. maybe even a mp3 file so i can here this becuase i just cant imagine it sounds very good.

As for the traktor crowed, i cant really say becuase i know very little about the software, im an abelton guy. Does tracktor do the beatmatching for you? I know in abelton there is auto warp, however it sux and barley workes properly if you want to do long sasha & digweed style mixing. So i personally go through all my tracks and hand warp them in abelton. there are short cuts (infact im thinking of writing a beginners guide to warping by hand in abelton for DJTT) but i still have to go through the whole tracks and test it against 3 or 4 other tracks in my collection to ensure that im 100% on.

all said and done, if you dont know how to beat match how do you know your tracks are in sync?
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    all said and done, if you dont know how to beat match how do you know your tracks are in sync?

very good point.
    thank you

Tech Mentor

btw its really cool you mentioned badboy bill. i didnt realize how popular he was. but he's actually from eveleth, MN which is where i live now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    So this is a very intresting thread.

First I dont understand any house/trance/DnB/breaks dj not beatmatching tracks, what are you doing just a scratch and a quick cut on the fader?

Hip hop djs tend to not beat match but this is because the music is ALLLLL over the place. tracks are 120 bpms, 140 bpm even as slow as 80/90 bpms. I can understand not beatmatching hip hop as for the most part it'll sound pretty shitty.

However beatmatching does not begin and end w/ vinyl and cd's. I use abelton live for djing so i can have anywhere from 2 to 8 audio channels playing at the same time, and they are all beatmatched. So im still unsure how a dj could spin house with out beatmatching. I mean if u spin house and then just do quick cuts, im sorry but i will be leaving the floor pretty fast becuase its gonna sounds shitty period. theres a handful of house djs back in the late 90's/early 00s that did super quick mixes. roger sanchez, Humpty vision, badboy bill, dj irene. But they where still beatmatching they where just doing it SUPA fast.

Can someone please explain how they spin house without Beatmatching. maybe even a mp3 file so i can here this becuase i just cant imagine it sounds very good.

As for the traktor crowed, i cant really say becuase i know very little about the software, im an abelton guy. Does tracktor do the beatmatching for you? I know in abelton there is auto warp, however it sux and barley workes properly if you want to do long sasha & digweed style mixing. So i personally go through all my tracks and hand warp them in abelton. there are short cuts (infact im thinking of writing a beginners guide to warping by hand in abelton for DJTT) but i still have to go through the whole tracks and test it against 3 or 4 other tracks in my collection to ensure that im 100% on.

Ok lol we're not talking about total lack of synchronisation, what we're discussing is manual beatmatching by ear vs. using Traktor's beatgrids and sync function. Traktor lays a grid over the track with a point on every beat (in theory, see the myriad of threads and videos on beatgridding properly in traktor), so all you have to arrange is the phrasing and it stays in sync automatically.

It's a case of using pitch bend and faders or not, not keeping tracks in time or not!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast