My forecast

Thread: My forecast

Default My forecast

Obviously I'm not an old, wise DJ who's been mixing since house was born. However, it's come to my attention that DJing has become somewhat of the new guitar. Now how many of you, as teenagers, wanted a guitar and wanted to start a band? I'm going to assume a lot of you, or else my point wont come into perspective. As far as I know, a lot of people around me are growing more and more attracted to mixing (Being 16, I'm guessing a bit different than someone who is closer to 30). Some come and ask me what gear should they get under this budget (one dropped a grand right in GC for a S4. Rich bastard >.>), or how to get their speakers to work properly, or even as far as asking me why beats are the best DJ headphones (even though I have never said such a thing, they assume as such. Damn branding).

Not to long ago, I had gotten into an argument with one of my peers about the reason for mixing, I had stated that I mix for the pleasure of the audience, I'll continue to do it as long as people enjoy listening to me mix. On the other hand, I completely understand the "Different strokes for different folks" as many have their own reasons for mixing. Yet, my peer had insulted me because of this, he had stated that mixing's for the DJ's own pleasure and always will be, and then this quasi-daydream popped into my head where a DJ was spinning and having a great time, but the crowd wasn't. That upset me. I suppose that this is where I relate to my original statement, the over glorified DJ which has appealed to the majority of pubescent teens.
    How do you all feel about this?

i agree. (only half way with the guitar thing)

the guitar thing is more mental than physical. alot of people want to be a dj, but once they see the price tag on decent gear they turn away. ive seen this happen a couple of times.

this reminds me of the all djs are the same idea that the general public has.

also relevant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWAsg1XEFEc
    Last edited by theory28; 01-16-2011 at 02:22 AM.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Well I mean, ever since dubstep became big, I've been out of gigs (note: most gigs I do for free, not to get more shows, not to beat out competitions, it's because thats the way I've always done it, and thats the way it will be. Also I can't do anything in any clubs in my area because they're all 21+ and since I'm 16, it doesn't work out. I've tried "raves" here, I didn't like it either (just not the people I wanted to be around), so I've been doing small local concerts for 2 years.), mainly because "YOU NO PLAY DUBSTEP, YOU NO PLAY HERE". Normally they don't sound like a stereotypical asian, but thats the way it works. So now, ever since dubstep hit and due to the fact I don't play it, they're going to hire some guy with a IDJ3 and just have him smash the sync button all night flipping between tracks, no skill. But it's Dubstep, so it's okay guys. Anywho, I suppose I'm getting off topic here. How do you feel with the ever increasing DJ population?

Quote Originally Posted by phaserjunkie View Post
    Well I mean, ever since dubstep became big, I've been out of gigs (note: most gigs I do for free, not to get more shows, not to beat out competitions, it's because thats the way I've always done it, and thats the way it will be. Also I can't do anything in any clubs in my area because they're all 21+ and since I'm 16, it doesn't work out. I've tried "raves" here, I didn't like it either (just not the people I wanted to be around), so I've been doing small local concerts for 2 years.), mainly because "YOU NO PLAY DUBSTEP, YOU NO PLAY HERE". Normally they don't sound like a stereotypical asian, but thats the way it works. So now, ever since dubstep hit and due to the fact I don't play it, they're going to hire some guy with a IDJ3 and just have him smash the sync button all night flipping between tracks, no skill. But it's Dubstep, so it's okay guys. Anywho, I suppose I'm getting off topic here. How do you feel with the ever increasing DJ population?
    You just have to understand man, in the end if you want to be a good DJ at a gig, you HAVE to play to the crowd. The crowd has to enjoy the music. DJs are there to provide musical entertainment with their music selection and effects. No matter how much you hate it, and I am sure I would hate it too, you just have to live with that (the specific scenario above) .

I remember going to club Vanity in Vegas and the entire night the music was good, but then a guest DJ took over (I don't remember his name, due to the fact that I was heavily intoxicated) and started spinning the regular Top40 stuff (which I do enjoy) with some EDM (which I REALLY enjoy) and actually at one point gave me slight goosebumps cause of the "feeling" his mixing created. At that point I knew that I loved music (and I have always been told I have great selection and what not from friends since they always make me choose music / they always listen to new artists from me) and I want to create that same feeling for everyone that ever listens to me.

The whole point of this post is basically to say, if certain people like certain music, you can try to introduce them to whatever music you truly love, but in the end you have to cater to their needs. I am not saying that just cause everyones going through a Dubstep fad you should change yourself and just spin Dubstep, i'm saying start spinning Dubstep as your main genre, and then mix in whatever it is you really like and see how the crowd takes it, if they like it, keep spinning your genre, if not go back to Dubstep and don't book there again until the fad is done.

There's another post somewhere on the forums like this, and in the end you have to remember no matter what you like / don't like, you are playing to the crowd.

This is just my two cents.