Best DJ setup for Ableton ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Best DJ setup for Ableton ?

Hey guys,

i'm pretty sure this question has arealdy been posted but i cant find a proper post on it...
    What is for you, the best config to DJ in ableton ?
    i spent quite a lot of time trying to find the best setup but sometimes the simplest things like looping on the fly become really complicated..

Ableton is great for its effets and the use of VST ( like effectrix ) Live.. but it s really hard to find a nice setup right now.
    If someone got a good experience with that , i'm really looking forward to it .

Thanks !

What controller are you using? It's pretty easy to setup Ableton so you get all the same functionality of a conventional DJing application (Traktor, Serato, Torq, etc.)
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

you will find the best help here

http://www.abletonlivedj.com/forum/

I think there's plenty cool DJ setups, just use the search button and you will be welcomed to a world of BCR2000/UC33e/APC40/APC20/APC80/Xone:Xd/Launchpad controllers.

I know there are some people that even run these through a traditional mixer, but just think, and know, what you want your set up to be.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

Default thanks

First, thanks to answer to this.

my controllers are a Korg Nanokontroller and a launchpad.
    I currently use the MYR script for the nano, and a personal one for the launchpad.
    I have trouble to find a proper way to add a loop button, or even to replace the cue points :/

I've been playing around with it... My favorite is a Launchpad for clips and a xone 2D for FX/volume, although a NanoKontrol2 (just came out (http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?pd=596#feat)) and a launchpad would probably be the best setup.

Even better is a Launchpad and a Zero SL mkII.

The APC40 is also boss, but I don't like the size nor the fact you need a power adapter (just doesn't fit well if your aiming for a club).

VST wise the Komplete 7 has everything I need, and anything it doesn't have is covered in the Reaktor User Library.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tonycmoi View Post
    Hey guys,

i'm pretty sure this question has arealdy been posted but i cant find a proper post on it...
    What is for you, the best config to DJ in ableton ?
    i spent quite a lot of time trying to find the best setup but sometimes the simplest things like looping on the fly become really complicated..

Ableton is great for its effets and the use of VST ( like effectrix ) Live.. but it s really hard to find a nice setup right now.
    If someone got a good experience with that , i'm really looking forward to it .

Thanks !
    so what do u mean by best setup. I use abelton exclusivly, I dont use a controler at the moment cause I cant find one that that fits my needs completely. I use an 8 channel setup, with 3 eq on each channel, auto filter on each channel and the beat repeator on a couple of channels(still playing with this). I can loop anything on the fly no issues here at all. So m a bit confused on this.

so what do u mean by best setup?
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Mentor

I'm fond of decadance for these reasons, see here.

its the only DJ program that works as a vst.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelOHaganMusic#p/u/16/BfH4RRLhW8M"]YouTube - MichaelOHaganMusic's Channel[/ame]

the best solution for me was to just add a DJ'ing environment into ableton, I keep all my production loops in live and then just mix in songs with decadance, its like the S4 on lots of steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
    I'm fond of decadance for these reasons, see here.

its the only DJ program that works as a vst.

YouTube - MichaelOHaganMusic's Channel

the best solution for me was to just add a DJ'ing environment into ableton, I keep all my production loops in live and then just mix in songs with decadance, its like the S4 on lots of steroids.
    If you want to try Deckadance PM me, I have an old license laying around I don't use.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Ableton gets incredibly incredibly personal, the way i find myself using it is to get an idea of how i want to mix then make that a relatity through m4l.

This is opposed to working out how the software works then following the workflow that the creators nudge you towards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast