[windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4 - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    This I TOTALLY AGREE with. My issue is people seem to be ditching perfectly good Windows machines. I have ready many posts where people run into even minor issues and, based on some of the less capable board members' suggestions, just go, "Oh, it must be Windows/shitty Win drivers -I'll just get a Mac"
    As attractive as i always found macs, I only switched when my VAIO 13" became TOTALLY unuseable (it was running at dangerously high temps even when placed on a fan cooling stand, making it really uncomfortable to type, and the battery lasted 20 mins). That was when I was running virtual DJ on a laptop only setup (ie JUST mixing in my bedroom, back when my addiction was in its infancy) and the CPU could barely handle the stress.

Decided to go for it and got a 13" MBP with the educational discount and haven't looked back, it's just brilliant. I don't hate windows machines, but I prefer the look, performance and workflow of macs. Also, I'm not going to lie and say i didn't partially buy it cos it's got a shiny apple on the lid.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I do feel sorry for the people who save up for ages to buy an S4 only to discover that their ageing windows machine can't run the software properly.

The fact is, like an audio chain, your rig is only as strong as its weakest component and if after trying all the regular fixes it turns out that your laptop just isn't up to it, it must be shit.
    Hopefully most people who've saved up for an S4 have done enough research to know this is a possibility.. I did but we all know most consumers of anything don't research enough before they buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Hopefully most people who've saved up for an S4 have done enough research to know this is a possibility...
    I wouldn't count on it. Product websites do tend to put the system requirements in small letters at the bottom, not as a big warning before buying.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Mentor

I'm probably in the minority... researching it led me to this great site at least!

Tech Wizard

Awesome guide, thank you so much for the effort in putting this together. Helped out with my problems on the s4. I have a core i3, 4bg ram, intel hd graphics hp laptop that is only 1 year old, so I figured it should have no problems running the new s4 software. I ran tpro flawlessly for one year, and then getting and trying out the new s4 software I was really dissapointed. Thanks to this it actually works now. Hopefully traktor pro 2 will further resolve any issues.

Tech Convert

Thanks again to smitten et. al. for their help. You guys at least have helped to get people rolling on this. With the oven, if your skills are lacking maybe you should try eating out

For me, it is purely a matter of your investment - time and resources. I had been researching this for about a year since wanting to go from cd's to digital. Amongst the hype, I purchased a S4 in November on the first shipment to Australia. 3 months of trying to get this to work - even dropping the question with the experienced traktor rep and trying most of the tips/hints from this site.

I personally got to a stage of being uncomfortable with the changes I was making to my windows system. I persevered and then I decided to give up when the machine started overheating and power off kicks in. I think it was time for my 4 yr old laptop.

I call that wanting to really use my $1k investment in Traktor.
    Last edited by wooshka; 03-15-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    MBP 2011; S4 Kontrol; Korg MicroKontrol

on a final OT note,

Tech Mentor

I give up. Backed up my shit.. formatted.. fresh install of Vista.. removed every piece of software not needed.. updated Windows.. updated all drivers.. disabled non essential services, startup items and hardware in device manager.. installed Traktor.. installed the beta driver.. same crap. Anyone want to buy an HP laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I give up. Backed up my shit.. formatted.. fresh install of Vista.. removed every piece of software not needed.. updated Windows.. updated all drivers.. disabled non essential services, startup items and hardware in device manager.. installed Traktor.. installed the beta driver.. same crap. Anyone want to buy an HP laptop?
    no thanks...

I just got me a brand new MacBook Pro and loving it

and this thing is as everyone says it is... IT JUST WORKS.

took me a litle while to figue out how to do basic stuff like copy and paste or even right click, and i installed google crome as i didnt like safari.

have you tried a different sound card ?
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Tech Mentor

I gave up, my Mac Book Pro will be here on Monday. lol

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast