Why is Serato worth more money
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Why is Serato worth more money

Why does Serato SL demand a higher price than Traktor. If Traktor cost more would that effect their sales. Or would they have the same share as they do now. What is it that makes people want to spend that extra money on serato?

1. is it they really need side by side waveforms
    2. They truely beleive serato is the only credible DVS solution
    3. they think its more reliable
    4. its easier to setup for the 1st time
    5. its simpler to use
    6. They use the bridge and its recording capabilites
    7. they like having midi devices set up for them
    8. they dj with video ( i know a few ppl who have switched for this reason)
    9. They beleive the sound cards are better quality
    10. there mates use it

Tech Mentor

I think Serato had a bit of a first-mover advantage. It's true that NI (and former collaborators) came to market first. But I would argue that at the time when digital setups/DVS started to take off, Serato had the more mature product.

So more people got into the game using Serato. And, from then on, it's a switching-cost issue. Switching is costly (e.g., it takes time to take your cue points or the organizational structure of your collection to another product). Due to those switching costs Serato still has a bit more market power than NI which allows it to charge higher prices.

Obv, I'm not claiming this is the full story but I def think this has been an important factor over the last few years.

I suspect Serato may feel that being more expensive may help them appear as the more premium product.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

its just marketing

you get a bunch of famous people to use your stuff everyone is gonna go buy it and enough people buy it,its gonna become the standed in certain places

and if serato can sell there products at a higher price than NI and people are buying them at them price they aint going to lower the price does not make it a better product than traktor,but i like both so its all good.

It's the industry standard!

I think a lot of people use it because it's an easy step into laptop djing with your turntables. Solid hardware and software without all the bells and whistles of Traktor or VDJ and a (marginally) tighter DVS.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Guru

jackinthebox I wouldnt say there is an industry standard yet however there may be one in the next couple of years you say serato is a tighter dvs. Are you refering to the timecode if so that is incorrect traktor has better traking due to the timecode and that is a fact. Its tough to call what will be the next industry standard. I personaly hope there isnt one. At the moment both companies are putting alot of development into there products to make them better if one company comes on top this will stop. And we will end up with the same situation as the turntable and cdj. The cdj 2000 was only released as a reaction to digital djing. I think this traktor update needs this sample player we know is coming. An option for side by side waveforms it really would not be that hard to program and video support. A cool feature to add with the new soundcard would be 3 record outs with an inbuilt recorder so you can record the master and both lines with cross fader movment for midi enabled mixers. Oh yea and high res midi

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    jackinthebox I wouldnt say there is an industry standard yet however there may be one in the next couple of years you say serato is a tighter dvs. Are you refering to the timecode if so that is incorrect traktor has better traking due to the timecode and that is a fact. Its tough to call what will be the next industry standard. I personaly hope there isnt one. At the moment both companies are putting alot of development into there products to make them better if one company comes on top this will stop. And we will end up with the same situation as the turntable and cdj. The cdj 2000 was only released as a reaction to digital djing. I think this traktor update needs this sample player we know is coming. An option for side by side waveforms it really would not be that hard to program and video support. A cool feature to add with the new soundcard would be 3 record outs with an inbuilt recorder so you can record the master and both lines with cross fader movment for midi enabled mixers. Oh yea and high res midi
    Please use the [,] and [enter] keys a little more often, you're making my eyes hurt.

It could be argued that SSL is as close as we have to an industry standard, since clubs with house soundcards more often than not have an SL-1 or SL-3.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Who's jackinthebox?

Ask any Serato fanboy why his software is better and he'll tell you it's because it's the "industry standard". I threw it out there as a joke.

I don't regularly use DVS, so that doesn't matter much to me, and VDJ can do everything else and more, so I have no desire to spend almost twice as much on Serato.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    1. is it they really need side by side waveforms
    Absoluetly not.

There is a minority of very loud people asking for side by side and they go on like its killing Traktor and everyone wants it and the uncomforatable truth for these people is that most Traktor users (in my received opinion ) is that they dont want/need it.

These people claim a load of odd reasons for NI not implementing it such as 'they dont want to change the UI'... if it was such a popular feature they would implement it and it would be killing Traktor but it isnt.

Fact its the Phase Meter pleases a lot of people and just cus Serato has side by side does not mean its a better way to work.

People coming from SSL or Itch go on how its make or break for Traktor and Traktor will never challange Serato until they have side by side.

This is laughable for many reasons. Fact is nothing is slowing the progress of Traktor .

I was told a few "facts" by an reliable industry insider at the BPM show in October and the Traktor sales figures are simply Unbelievable. Unreal.

NI could probably ignore this feature for rest of time and it wouldnt hurt them one iota.
    I mean, what is the point of trying to convert or convince a few SSL/Itch users when they can just get on with selling their own method to millions of new DJs.

Money talks. If NI thought they needed to implement it they would.

I personally hate side by side. Cant stand it .BUT i think NI should implement it just so Traktor has everything.

Tech Guru

^ They are implementing colored waveforms!!

You know I'm a happy camper. Hopefully the gridding has improved. Any word on when we should hear an official statement from NI on the new Traktor product? A few weeks?

Ok back on topic. It cost some much because it's from Rane!!! It's pricey gear. You also have to remember Rane sells the soundcard or mixer and Serato has the software so thats two companies sharing profits. With Traktor it's all NI.

my thoughts.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast