An Idea for Soundcloud group.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default An Idea for Soundcloud group.

Hey guys,

I had an idea for a soundcloud group, that may help beginners and anyone really in production.

I personally try to produce some electro stuff, but so far not good in my opinion. Mind you this is not me trying to promote my channel.
    I realized that what can help me is another sets of ears and eyes.
    So my suggestion is to do a group where you can share the Ableton, Fl, etc files, as well as audio files, with the members of the group. The person you share it with, may add his changes to the track, master it differently etc. And basically you collaborate tracks with someone. Sometimes, you may need a voice/vocal, and someone has that voice/vocal available, so s/he ands the voice/vocal track to it and so on.

The benefits for beginners is that they learn while looking at the done track. The benefits for other members, is different approaches to their tracks, because even sometimes the beginners may add something awesome to track, that a pro may not think of. The saying applies here "One head is good, but 2 heads are better".

So if enough people are interested in this idea, I can make a group and post it here, and develop it.

Thx for your time, cheers!

I like it - it's a good idea. But too many producers don't WANT to share their techniques.

It's sad, but it's true.

Too many of them believe that their techniques/ideas will be stolen.

Good luck with your idea, like I said - I really like it. I just hope there are those with the experience that will be willing to share.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

I'm aware that pro producers, don't want to share their techniques with other people, which is sad, but i guess fair enough. However, i think if you share the ideas and techniques between people, eventually you will figure out your own perfect mastering and techniques that may be special in its way.
    I would love some good producers agree on this idea, but i'm not sure a lot will.
    However, thank you for your feedback, maybe some other people will join me in this idea!

Cheers!

Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    You didn't quite understand what i was suggesting. I know that group, and have been the part of that group for a long time. However I think the best way to show a person his/her mistakes, and where to improve, is when you are in possession of the Ableton file for example. I know if you post your tracks in that group, people will give you feedback, but that feedback may not be as good, as the feedback when a person has your Ableton, Fl etc files in their hands. And sometimes the comments in the feedback can me very confusing for a beginner and how to fix them.

Make a dropbox folder. Get people who want to join in to send you a PM with there mail and invite them. GO NUTS!
    13"MBP - VCI-100B - M-audio oxygen 8 - Maschine - Midi Fighter[DEAD] - Audio2Dj - KRK RP8

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by soerensus View Post
    Make a dropbox folder. Get people who want to join in to send you a PM with there mail and invite them. GO NUTS!
    Well this thread was aimed to see, if anyone would share my idea and how many would join. How it would work and how we would share, is a later concern.

Hmm... it's a cool idea. I'm not sure how practical it is though. Think about it.

Let's say, for instance, that I make a song. I piece it together, do all the EQing, master it, and then stick it up on Soundcloud and put it in the group. What really could other people do to it? Sample it? Remix it? I suppose, but isn't the whole point of the group to help eachother? It would be hard to master on top of mastering, if that makes sense. Really, the best way (in my opinion) would be to share stems.

At the risk of sounding like I fall into the group of producers who refuse to share techniques, I'm not too sure how comfortable I am sending stems of my tracks to complete strangers. What's to stop people who don't even participate in the group from downloading my stems and then using them in their own songs? Maybe that's a bit paranoid, but still...

The other problem is this: what are people going to do with their edits/remixes/etc. of the tracks? Upload them as their own?

I think it's a good idea, but Soundcloud might not be the most ideal platform to do it.

However, if you do decide to try it, I'll definitely get involved.
    Last edited by Lambox; 01-18-2011 at 01:41 AM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

sharing techniques: im cool with it
    sharing als files: not really

besides, there are going to be BIG problems with people using different VSTs and things will get heavy when samples/freezes/internal bounces are included. Dropbox won't be enough. sending stems would only increase this later issue.
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-18-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    sharing techniques: im cool with it
    sharing als files: not really
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    besides, there are going to be BIG problems with people using different VSTs and things will get heavy when samples/freezes/internal bounces are included. Dropbox won't be enough. sending stems would only increase this later issue.
    If we were just sharing actual audio files, this wouldn't be a problem...? I thought the whole point of the Soundcloud group was to share audio files, not the actual project files, synth settings, etc.

Or I could be wrong.

But, if you're right, then yes that would be a huge mess.

Maybe we're not talking about the same kind of 'stem.' By stem I mean a processed audio file (usually an mp3/wav/aiff) for each instrument (ie: one mp3 for drum loops, another mp3 for bass synth... etc)
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast