Need veteren dj help!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need veteren dj help!!!!

so i got my first gig last week!! and needless to say it was just alright and i ran into some snags and need help

here is what happend

new club opens up in this metro detroit area town. The club/bar used to be just like a crappy little bar with locals there every night so the owner said he wants to change the crowd to young and more clubby so he wanted me to play all club music and well thats what i do so i said ya no prob.

well night starts off with there grand opening and it was a mixed crowd of old and young. About 15 minutes into my set he comes up and says you need to play something for the older people like 70's 80's bon jovi and stuff like that.
    i mean i enjoy all music but was completely unprepared for that type of mix. I made all my playlists and stuff of my club mixes and personal remixes and stuff.

I need to know what to do, do i tell him like i need to know what u want me to do, not change it up on me or should i just expect it??

if they want to be more club then shouldnt i just keep doing what im doing?

i felt completely lost and didnt feel i did the best set trying to do everything that he wanted

this was my first time outside a house and i felt it was sub par....

I need veteran help guys please!!!!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by under28world View Post
    so i got my first gig last week!! and needless to say it was just alright and i ran into some snags and need help

here is what happend

About 15 minutes into my set he comes up and says you need to play something for the older people like 70's 80's bon jovi and stuff like that.
    i mean i enjoy all music but was completely unprepared for that type of mix. I made all my playlists and stuff of my club mixes and personal remixes and stuff.
    !
    dood, u dont have to front. Its ok to not like bon jovi. i swaer its relly ok. no one heres gonna hate on u cause u dont like Bon jovi. Fuck ill say it. I hate fucking bon jovi (except blaze of glory and billy get ur guns, but i really like young guns 2 so that dont really count). with that said.

I say just ask the club owner do u want to get a younger clientele ior do u want the old fucks with their bon jovis and onions on there belts?

If i went to a club for the first time and it was supposed to be EDM and then u drop bon jovi, yeah Im fucking leaving and never coming back. on top of that i will tell everyone i know about it and make sure they spread the word that this club sux ass.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Weel it's over now. Everyone has shitty confusing gigs. You where just unlucky to make one of those yore first.

You gotta figure out if you wanna play there again or make someone else deal with it. And even if its confusing, demanding and sucks donkey balls you will learn a lot by these weird gigs. And it'll maybe a stepping stone to somewhere else. The bedroom usually isn't.

Make up your mind if you wanna come back, and prepare for the worst.
    13"MBP - VCI-100B - M-audio oxygen 8 - Maschine - Midi Fighter[DEAD] - Audio2Dj - KRK RP8

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by under28world View Post
    well night starts off with there grand opening and it was a mixed crowd of old and young. About 15 minutes into my set he comes up and says you need to play something for the older people like 70's 80's bon jovi and stuff like that.
    90% of the times this happens, that is the music the owner/dude in charge likes, not what the clients want to hear.

If he actually wants to keep some of the elder then you could reach an agreement "older music" first 1-2h and EDM the rest of the night, otherwise he will be driving away the younglings.

PS: welcome to our world and be ready for EVERYTHING
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    otherwise he will be driving away the younglings.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTR...eature=related

NOT THE YOUNGLINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

in a case like that where the crowd is rather varied, you will need to mix it up more genre wise. however, it was the grand opening, the older crowd were prob invited friends of the owner so he could show off, and most likely wont be back, but next time, be a bit more prepared, relax and enjoy it. one of my residencies, the cash cow if you will, i have to play music i hate, but seeing the crowd enjoy themselves makes me enjoy it...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I suggest trying to find remixes of 70's & 80's songs. I have an all 70's & 80's remix set that the Older crowd LOVE but it's still very "clubby" feeling. The elders then get to play "name that tune" as a drinking game.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Filterkat

ive had this happen to me on several occasions, not particularly with 70's 80's stuff, but i was playing progressive/lounge house and one of the owners comes up and wants me to start playing full blown commercial, then 10 minutes later, when im playing a commercial track, he comes up to me again saying that the music was too heavy... i was playing "Hands" by the ting tings... HEAVY? WTF??? i just told him... look mate, im a DJ who plays my own style, if you dont like it, dont hire me again, theres plenty of hacks out there who will play for next to nothing and smash top 40 shit for you all night, but me, im not one of those DJ's.

I went back to playing my own stuff, and the people werent leaving and seemed to be having a good time, and the other owner was very happy, just the older douchebag owner didnt like it.

Long story short, dont compromise your musical integrity, If you start trying to make everyone happy, it becomes a shitstorm, and like someone said above, if you want to attract a younger crowd, you shouldnt be playing bon jovi. Stick to your guns and eventually you will find a venue that compliments your musical tastes. Like soerensus said, figure out if you want to play there again, and establish with the owner before hand what music policy is going to be... THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. Either let him know your only going to play EDM, and make it clear, or if your willing to compromise, figure something out. Just explain to him nicely that if he wants to attract a younger crowd, hes not going to do it with Bon Jovi. Sure it might keep the older people happy for a while but thats not who hes trying to attract is he?

Lol and what padi said... welcome, and expect a lot of shit like this to happen. Just wait till you have douchebags coming to request the worst songs from the opposite genre your playing, right when your in the middle of a mix, and ugly drunk chicks who are trying to tune you and cant take a hint and wont go away. Or when drunk idiots come with a full drink in their hand to try talk to you and spill shit on the equipment. And wannabe douchebag dj's that come up to you and want to have a full blown shop conversation about mixing with you or think they can give you coaching tips, "dont forget to tweak the EQ, and add a flanger" FUCK OFF IM NOT A FLANGE WHORE!!! or when they say they can do better. Yeah? well why aren't you in the booth instead of me if your so f*cking good?

Worst is when the opener starts out with a bunch of "high intensity" bangers and leaves you no where to go, and has absolutely no progession in his mixing, just big track after big track, and chances are, hes going to play the few highlight songs of your set.

Its like "thanks mate, so much for a warm up"... i really dont understand openers who go all out like if they were playing a peaktime set, i mean, even peaktime you dont go all out like that FFS, you need to give people a few occasions to wind down and go to the bar, and no one wants to here all the big songs at 10 o'clock.

Oh and cant forget other DJ's who jack your mixtapes... walk into a local club... WTF? THIS IS MY SET I GAVE THEM!!

anyway... sorry about the rant... lol... some of the shit ive had to deal with gets me wound up.

but just stick to your guns... The percs do outweigh the negatives in the long run, especially if you can get a residency somewhere descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    And wannabe douchebag dj's that come up to you and want to have a full blown shop conversation about mixing with you or think they can give you coaching tips, "dont forget to tweak the EQ, and add a flanger" FUCK OFF IM NOT A FLANGE WHORE!!! or when they say they can do better. Yeah? well why aren't you in the booth instead of me if your so f*cking good?
    "hey any chance i could mix a few songs?", "im getting paid here jackass, its not like i want you messing around on my decks when your shitfaced"

"hey so when i saw dj pauly d last month he did this, and your not so youre obviously not a real dj like he is"

----- "why are you using that little thing (spin/x1) when i was watching the jersey shore dj pauly d used turntables and a computer, so hes better than you"

can we just kill everyone from that show? everyone around me (other than my close group of friends) who comments on my djing always brings up that little fuck. -- not to mention my girlfriend is obsessed with that show, so im never free from it.

just fer lolz......

http://vodpod.com/watch/4611518-jersey-shore-8-bit

1:00-1:15 --- the whole vid is good but that was the point i was trying to make
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    "hey any chance i could mix a few songs?", "im getting paid here jackass, its not like i want you messing around on my decks when your shitfaced"

"hey so when i saw dj pauly d last month he did this, and your not so youre obviously not a real dj like he is"

----- "why are you using that little thing (spin/x1) when i was watching the jersey shore dj pauly d used turntables and a computer, so hes better than you"

can we just kill everyone from that show? everyone around me (other than my close group of friends) who comments on my djing always brings up that little fuck. -- not to mention my girlfriend is obsessed with that show, so im never free from it.

just fer lolz......

http://vodpod.com/watch/4611518-jersey-shore-8-bit

1:00-1:15 --- the whole vid is good but that was the point i was trying to make
    HAHA sick vid...

fuck i hate jersey shore... it was funny to watch 1 or 2 episodes, just because of how douchey they were, but after that it was just sad... i had housemates who used to love watching it...

Have you seen the southpark episode "its a jersey thing"? MUFF CABBAGE!!!

ive gone back to using timecode CDs/vynils in the clubs just so people cant say shit about what i use to mix... that and i love me the feel of vynil :P but i still bring my maschine so i can control effects and hotcues, since you cant exactly do that with timecodes.... lol

but yeah... people are douchebags, and theres allways gonna be one or 2 guys in the club who are jealous of you, because theyre still spinning in their bedrooms, with their mouse and keyboard probably, and your up there in the club booth rocking the whole club... so they feel they need to say something to you just to justify their existance and make themselves feel that little bit closer to being "a real dj"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast