NAMM disappointment (and 100th post)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default NAMM disappointment (and 100th post)

Well I was waiting with bated breath for the announcement of an all in one controller with spinning platters and Traktor compatibility at NAMM but it seems its not going to happen. So I guess my next best option to get rid of my hefty turntables is to go for something along the lines of the Denon DN-S3700 which I understand to have full compatibility with Traktor while in hybrid mode? Are there any other options out there that you guys would recommend?

I mean, it's either that, or just get turntables and use Traktor like a true DVS. If spinning platters are a must, and Traktor is a must... You'll probably get the best use out of TT's. I'm not sure what your space requirements are, but it's something to think on.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I mean, it's either that, or just get turntables and use Traktor like a true DVS. If spinning platters are a must, and Traktor is a must... You'll probably get the best use out of TT's. I'm not sure what your space requirements are, but it's something to think on.
    I currently use Technics 1200s with TSP but I move my gear around a lot and the weight on the 1200s + mixer + coffin is a real pain. Another problem I have with them is that in a lot of the places I gig at there are huge floor vibrations and not very good isolation in the booth so my control circles are always all over the place. I was hoping for a NS7 like controller to come out of NAMM this time around for Traktor.

Yeah I was honestly expecting one as well. It seems like Traktor/NI is dropping the ball when it comes to moving platter support. If Serato can figure it out, and has for a good long bit now, I don't understand what's so hard in the translation with Traktor. But I'm pretty sure it's not a simple thing to code, and it will come... with time.

I'm pretty sure the Denon units are going to be your next best bet. Honestly though? Those things are pretty beastly in their own right. Not the same as a TT... but pretty large. I was playing with one earlier at GC, and while neat, it's really something that I think is really worth the additional cost would be for you.

Are you sworn to moving platters? Because it might be time to take a non-moving platter approach. Or wait. That's what I would do at least.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

If I had switched over from the TTs 8 months ago I could have done without moving platters however now people have been accustomed and enjoy/expect me to drop a track and scratch to it at least once in the night in both my dubstep and hip hop sets. In my dubstep sets specifically I always drop a kinda dubstep/deep house kinda tune in the middle of my set and get a nice scratching groove to it and people love it. I just don't think I could really pull anything like that off without moving platters. I have tried out the NS7 and I love it however I HATE Itch.

Tech Student

I was hoping for something from Stanton, maybe a SCS 1 update with USB. I'd also like to see some updates to the SCS 3 like a tiny audio interface.

Tech Mentor

A new SCS 1 would be great as I hear they aren't very reliable and are somewhat of a beta product.

I was hoping we'd see something along those lines too. The end all controller should have dual motorized platters AND two traditional jog wheels, all fully assignable. It should also have 16 arcade buttons, dual xy pads, 4 fx banks with 4 effect on buttons on the mixer, x-fader assign and reverse, 4 full lenth pitch sliders, and vu meters obviously.

NAMM looked like a lot of cheap China garbage for the moat part. That Numark iPad stand with platters looked cheaper than a DJ Hero controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkag View Post
    the weight on the coffin is a real pain.
    Ditch the coffin. Flight cases are a lot easier to transport. Also, http://www.planetdj.com/i--FREEFLOAT

Those things are awesome. You can pound on the table and not skip a well set-up needle…just…good luck scratching on them. You can baby scratch to cue and Uzis are okay, but anything that requires more movement is going to be a problem.

Tennis balls cut in half also work.

I didn't see anything at NAMM that was made for traktor that had moving platters. The 3700 are a great choice. I have used them with HID on SSL and it worked awesome.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast